This is my second post and since my last I've got some very exciting news and information to share with everybody and anybody!
As I mentioned in my last blog post, I'm currently interning for the Beaufort St Festival in the capacity of Arts Committee member (yes, I get to make decisions :) ) and dealing with all things festival related from media liaising, press release compiling, enquiries, project managing and of course the all important one; helping in the curation of the art for this years festival.
So we had a meeting on Monday night for the specific purpose of choosing who was in and who was out - kind of makes me sound a bit like Megan Gale in Project Runway Australia haha (if only I look as good!). There weren't as many submissions as we expected but we managed to get a good group which were then compiled into two separate groups again before being split a 3rd time into sub groups. The main two groups were FUNDED and SELF FUNDED, which were
then split down again into BUSINESS COLLABORATION and STREET.
Because the festival is all about the community and therefore we rely on community support (as well as some local businesses), we had tight budget restrictions and so when it came time for culling the FUNDED spots we had to be ruthless. Overall we managed to come in under budget and still have enough art that would ensure the festival is going to be amazing - one of the artists David Kenworthy has some AMAZING stuff and everyone should check him out, especially if you're not coming to the festival. This guy is just - I'm lost for words.
For the SELF FUNDED positions, there is definitely an exciting element that's been thrown into the mix from an art collaborative called Paper, Scissors, Rocks and it's going to provide a great program for the children as well.
All successful submissions applicants will be notified by August 5th and this promises to be an exciting collaboration for Arts Committee and the artists chosen - who some of us will be working closely with.
As everyone can appreciate I can't reveal too much about what's going to be at the festival but as a little sneak peak into this world I've added the link to the soon-to-be-up-and-running festival website and, drum roll please - the festival poster!

This month promises to be a definite ramp up on the slower pace we've been able to take over the past month and half
- but as always I'm excited and thrilled to be a part of the creation of this event.
Cheers guys,
Kate Caine
13939618
1 comment:
Hey Kate,
Your internship sounds amazing, your so lucky that you get so much responsibility and are really able to leave your mark on this event.
Keep on keeping us up-to-date!
Sounds like you have an interesting month ahead of you.
From Naz
Post a Comment