Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Beaufort Street Festival Internship

Hi all!

So, like everyone else on here, I'm doing PR Professional Practice and undertaking an internship for my final semester (just quietly HELL YEAH!). I thought it would be quite hard actually to find a position, given that I am not able to be flexible with my time and really didn't like the idea of working for someone who was just going to make me get coffee for them every five seconds. So when the Beaufort Street Festival were advertising for interns to join their Arts Committee I literally jumped at the opportunity - although once again I must admit I didn't think it was going to be as easy as a 'hey, cool, yeah, bye', but it actually was!

So I've been working on the festival now - it's in it's early planning/project designing/selections phase - for about just a little over a month. It's possibly the most exciting thing I have done in a long long time. And what makes it even better is that I am actually a part of the decision making processes and not merely a bystander.

Our committee president doesn't like to think of the position in terms of it being an internship - she thinks of it an opportunity for someone whose creative and has a flare for imagination to jump on board and actually involve themselves in something that has become a tremendously successful show of just what the local communities of Perth have to offer.

As it is we are nearly at the stage of curating the art - it's going to be hard, some of the submissions for funded positions (funded by the Festival) are looking like they're going to be amazing! Currently I've been doing a media release for one of our major sponsors, Bremick Group and just recently I finished a feasibility report on a possible exhibition USB style.

But finally this position is made what it is by the people I'm working with - some of the most creative, funny and laid back people I've met in a long time. They make everything fun and it doesn't seem like you're doing a job that needs to be done.

You'll hear from me soon! And check out the Beaufort Street Festival facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/BeaufortStreetFestival2011 hopefully we'll have the website up and running soon!

Kate Caine
13939618

ps. If anyone wants to ask any questions or needs any help with things I'm a willing go to person haha :)

No comments: