Hey everyone,
So this is my first blog as I have only just commenced my placement with the Rottnest Island Authority, working in their offices situated in Fremantle at E shed, and also on the island itself!
So far I have only experienced 1 day of working with the Rottnest team, however am already gaining a vast understanding into the extensive practices that come under the management and production of events and functions on the island. Furthermore my role will be to assist within the responsibilities of event management, and the influx of tourists coming to the island, while encouraging and promoting their celebration of sustainability.
My first day was a real eye opener, as I was immediately able to experience the island first hand. They sent me over on the 7.30am ferry giving me a great amount of time to visit landmarks and gain an understanding and appreciation of the cultural environments they are aiming to promote and preserve, within their celebration of 100 years of tourism.
Following this I was able to attend the executive Leavers 2011 meeting, including all the relevant stakeholders such as the internal Rottnest staff such as those from the Rottnest Island Authority, whilst also those external authorities such as Rottnest Police, the Water Police, Rottnest Nursing post and reps from Marine Safety. From listening to the complexities of the preparation for Leavers 2011, and the risk management processes I was really able to gain a clear vision into the range of issues, such as environmental and social impacts, island security around the ‘Zone’ and wider community engagement, that need to be dealt with, and see how these are actually set in stone for real life events. This meeting was a really great experience for me and I look forward to attend a few more!
I have already learnt that the smooth running of an event, as large as Leavers simply cannot survive and function appropriately unless all people involved are regularly communicated with and informed of what's required. Additionally risk management is a crucial factor that really needs to be planned for effectively, often from past years events’ evaluations.
I’m really looking forward to my next few days of work, and will keep you all posted!
Kayla Wilkie
14286535
2 comments:
Hi Kayla,
You’re placement sounds like it’s going to be a great experience – and you’re so lucky to have such a picturesque setting as your ‘office’.
That 7.30am start time alludes into just how much hard work and commitment is put into taking care of Rottnest PR and events.
I guess general knowledge allowed me to already be aware of how incredibly complex Rotto leavers must be, however your insight into the amount of external authority that goes into it surely confirms my thoughts. It sounds like the Rotto event is going to need a very well put together crisis management plan – however I assume that with the many years of experience they’ve had with their leavers event it should be pretty standard by now.
I completely agree with you on the communication front. Similarly I have also discovered that for large-scale events like your leavers event and the city to surf that I am involved in, it is crucial to have open two-way communication not only with the public, but with employees so that everyone is made aware and can prepare for the immense possibilities of success but also the many burdens that fall with large events.
Looking forward to reading about how the rest of your experience goes.
Good luck
- Samantha Abbot
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your thoughts.I definitely agree that an appropriate crisis management plan is necessary, especialy in the sinstance of school leavers!
You mentioned you were working on the current City to Surf 2011, how is that all going?
Have you discovered any hiccups or successful determints that you have dealt with during your time on working on this event, that you might wish to share?
Good luck also,
Kayla
Post a Comment