Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Communication Suprise

Hey PR Geeks

So this is my last blog entry. I finished up with Trusttech Australia last month but had trouble with blog contributions so it's a little late.

The last thing I wanted to reflect on was a surprising (at least to me) way in which PR practitioners can contribute to such varied functions within a company.

During my placement with Trusttech I was introduced to one of the sales problems faced by the company. Most of their prospects were coming from one channel. This led to me having a look at how they conduct their pitches.

As I'm sure all of you know pitches are a big part of PR, especially if you are working in a consultancy. Luckily enough I had saved my team's pitch powerpoint slides so I was able to roughly demonstrate how I had been taught to make a pitch. My boss liked it so I ended up creating a draft powerpoint presentation including notes about what information it should include and how it should be delivered.

Maybe I should note that I somehow quite enjoy giving presentations and usually get high marks.

My boss was really stoked with the presentation and proposal I drafted up for him. Made me quite proud of myself.

Sitting in the seminars I sometimes do wonder when on earth I will ever really be able to use the skills to create value. In the case of my placement, improved pitches and proposals would really be able to generate better sales results.

Hope this motivates you to push through your last semester and gain as many skills as possible.

Johanna Cook
Bentley
14285299

No comments: