
The pace is really starting to pick up in the Corporate Communications offices at Curtin, with Open Day just 3 weeks away! - and it's only going to get crazier, with more and more work to do. So it's becoming really important to keep track of everything I'm doing and to stay in control....however one thing none of us can control, (but we wish we could), is the weather on the day! I really hope we get lucky with weather as good as last year's Open Day, where roughly 17,000 people attended!
Since I last posted, many huge deadlines have been met. Including the launch of the mobile website, the desktop website, and the finalised program now just a day (potentially even hours) off being sent to the printers! I have been quite involved in the several rounds of proof reading and editing of the program, as well as updating the activities online. It's great to see the program finally come together after that many weeks of editing, activity changes and delays.
http://www.openday.curtin.edu.au/ - is the site to visit!
One ethical issue that was of huge interest to me when finalising the program was the type of paper and ink decided on for the printing. We had to seek advice from Curtin's environment and sustainability officer who compared the different printing company's offer in terms of paper and ink types, and how recycled and environmentally friendly they were.
Now that I have officially booked 8 activities for the 'Fun Zone', my tasks are starting to gear towards the risk management side of the event, including working on completing an event application form and a health and safety risk assessment - which we all came across in PR techniques in the 'event management' lecture, but never actually had to complete one! Another big task we're working on is organising signage for the event - what to order, how many signs / banners and where to place them all on a campus that's almost big enough to be a town!
Depending on the budget, another addition to the event may include multicultural performers, which I have been researching and seeking quotes from entertainment agencies for the last few weeks.
Another thing that continues to amaze me in the 'real world' is the cost of the event as a whole! They certainly ain't cheap, and this work experience will influence me to appreciate the large amounts of effort that goes into any large scale event.
I hope all your placements are treating you well, and I strongly encourage everyone to attend Open Day - for recreation! Being part of this event has influenced me to see it as not only a recruitment event - but a community event.
Sarah Mullen
14308662
Bentley Campus
No comments:
Post a Comment