Wednesday, August 17, 2011


Keep it simple, stupid.

Okay, so I am back again ready to report on my work placement journey so far at the Activ Foundation. Time is going very fast, I feel so involved in the organisation and especially the communications team that I often forget that I need to soak everything in for the big fat report due soon.

My top three highlights are: 1) researching writing and editing media articles such as, media releases, internal newsletter and feature stories 2) Hyundai donating two cars to Activ and covering the story, meeting the clients and employees of Activ. See article to your right...Woo! 3) next Wednesday I'll be meeting the Premier of WA.

My experience so far has reminded me the following: The importance of being proactive, humble and as my title says keeping things simple. Being proactive means making an effort to contribute ideas and thoughts whenever you can, if you're wrong or if they disagree it doesn't matter it shows you care and are interested in what you are doing. Being proactive also involves opening your eyes and seeing what needs to be done or what can be done better.

No job is too good for you. Sometimes it's easy to think I didn't sign up to photocopy 100 copys of some person's document, but as my mum once said 'a bad attitude isn't going to get you anywhere'. So if you get a boring job and you will, it calls for you to take a slice of humble pie and just get the job done.

Finally, keep everything you do simple. For example, I often took 3-4 hours writing or editing something that takes 1 hour, because I would be too focused on spelling, grammar, paragraphs, fancy words. If I had just kept it simple I probably could have finished a few more. Also remember, e
veryone at work is usually so overwhelmed with their own task they don't want anything that is complicated, when asking a question make it valid and useful to the task that you want to complete.

Pretty straight forward right?

I hope everyone is coping well and keeping up with their work and study load, until next time!

- Thy
Activ Foundation






No comments: