Hi All!
I'm now half way through my internship at the City to Surf- and things are really picking up! I was having my doubts at first and wasn't enjoying the jobs I was allocated very much, however after sitting down and voicing my concerns with my supervisor, I've been given a LOT more responsibility and subsequently I'm enjoying my time there more and more! I definitely recommend anyone who is feeling the same to speak up, turns out they'll be a lot more impressed with your work and contributions than what you thought!
With the event now only 2 weeks away, things in the office have become hectic to say the least. The past week has been spent assembling race packs (almost 40,000 of them!!!), responding to an uncontrollable influx of emails, and being briefed about our roles on the day. This week saw the event guide that i worked on be released on the web site, which was really exciting to see my own work being put up for everyone to see.
I was also offered an extremely exciting opportunity for the event this year, which has far exceeded my expectations. I've been allocated a position, which they are introducing this year, as the signage manager. Basically, I'll be in charge of all the sponsorship signage for the entire course (for Esplanade Park, St Georges Tce, the entire course, the 4km start at Floreat, and the finishing precinct at City Beach). I'll need to check it in as it's delivered, then manage crews who need to put it out on course- it's VERY specific and different sponsors have different signage, then make sure all the signage is returned to me after the event. This is a HUGE task! I feel extremely privileged to be allocated this role, as they believe I am competent enough to manage it- definitely makes you feel more confident in your abilities! To be right in the action of the largest sporting event in WA gives me a real burst of excitement, as it's a lot more exposure than I ever expected.
It's nice to see what everyone else is doing and to read about their amazing placements too!
Until next time,
Sarah Ball
Bentley Campus
14262784
1 comment:
Hi Sarah
Your placement certainly sounds like it's going well. Good on you for speaking up about being unsatisfied with the work you were being given.
I am actually writing in a Journalism student capacity (though I am also PR Professional Placement student). I am intending on covering the City to Surf for a Radio News unit and would love to get an interview from someone involved in the organisation of the event. It would be great if you could get in touch with me regarding this.
I hope to hear from you and I hope uou continue to enjoy your placement.
Kind regards
Amy
Post a Comment