Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Power of Positive PR

Hello my fellow PR placement peeps!!!

I hope that everyone is having a great time at their chosen organisations and is getting some really good hands on experience

The past two weeks at Unicredit for me were all about striking sponsorship deals with Curtin, UWA and Murdoch – targeting both staff and students.

Firstly I went to the universities respective websites and had a look around to see what kind of events were coming up in the following months – some of which we have been previously involved with (which made it a lot easier to reconnect with the organisers!)

I had been given authority from the PR manager to offer several items depending on what the event needed. These included prepaid VISA cards, travel vouchers from our side organisation – Tertiary Travel, “picnic packs” including a bottle of wine and quiz night material including pens, pads and posters.

Luckily around both Curtin and UWA an event called the 3 Minute Thesis was being held. I was able to get in contact with both organisers and negotiate sponsorship deals.

At UWA we offered picnic packs and a bottle of wine to each of the semi-finalist winners. In exchange for this the university was happy to verbally acknowledge Unicredit’s involvement when giving out the prizes, place our logo on promotional material and the website, and allowed us to put up 2 banners in the auditorium where the event was being held.

At Curtin it was a much smaller event and so we simply gave them 3 picnic packs for the finalists and they verbally acknowledged us at the event.

Lastly, after searching each database, I was able to get in touch via email to many student and staff associations (approx. 250) promoting free branded quiz night packs for those who were holding the events. Within 10minutes I had had 5 calls and several more emails with people wanting to take us up on our offer. When speaking to them it was amazing how incredibly happy and grateful they were that we were willing to help them out. With some even encouraging us to attend the events! Although to us these quiz packs are a very inexpensive and easy option, for those receiving them it saves a lot of time and money. We hoped that the power of this positive PR would generate goodwill and word of mouth about Unicredit around campus – and from what we have heard, it has!

I’m very much looking forward to speaking with more event organisers and negotiating sponsorship deals in the coming weeks– with events including the Murdoch Staff Games, Curtin Community Golf Day and the Intervarsity Golf Day.

I look forward to hearing all about your PR experiences!

Catherine Tenardi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about all the different activities organisations are getting us "PR Students" to do. It shows that the PR role can not be limited to a few tasks or jobs in an organisation. I would feel so overwhelmed with the jobs that you have been assigned, but it sounds like you have taken them on with ease and are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

It was interesting for me to read your blog because I was recently in a similar position to you ... only on the opposite side! I'm doing my prac at Kings Park and a little while ago it was my job to contact various companies asking whether they would sponsor particular promotions we were running thoughout the Kings Park Festival - one of them for example was a picnic promotion so I approached a company seeing whether they would donate some hampers.

Anyway, it's good to see your perspective because you were essentially offering sponsorship whereas I was trying my hardest to get it. And after getting denied a couple of times I would have much rather been on your end of things! I'm glad to hear that the event organisers were receptive because you are right, some of the giveaways may be an inexpensive and easy option for you but that definitely saves a lot of time and money for those recieving them!

All the best,
Kate :)