Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Always be on time...

Time Management is something we are taught from the day we start being educated. Being punctual, meeting deadlines and handing in assignments on time has been a battle of ours for the last decade. Our internships have surely taught us a lot about how time management works in the real world or workplace. There is no option of a 10% deduction for a late assignment, or a note written from your mum for being late to school. A deadline is final.

During my internship I was faced with multiple opportunities to either reach or neglect a deadline. I had to write 5 blogs, due at 5pm and if I didn’t I would lose the opportunity to have them published and the intern who was in the next day would get the opportunity. Luckily for me I’m a fast worker and as a result I got my work published on the Manikinn website.

The lesson I’m trying to share is that no matter where you are always keep time management in the back of your mind. If you learn to be punctual to group meetings and hand your assignments in on time you will most likely carry this trait with you into the workforce, and it is a skill that employers love and really look for.

8 comments:

Georgia Stewart said...

Hi Natalie,

I completely agree with this lesson and had very much the same thoughts in my internship. As our media partner was the Sunday Times, we had strict deadlines as to the latest we could get our press releases into them. This was Thursday afternoon. I received an email in regards to one of my press releases at about 4pm on Thursday asking for an image to be printed with the release by the end of the day. I had one hour to find an image from my sources, make sure it was the right size and give it to the journalist.

Although we are taught deadlines from a young age, I completely agree with you with the idea that we don't really understand how critical they can be in the real world. Although we have had deadlines prior - they have been very flexible. The real world doesn't allow for flexibility - especially as a public relations consultant trying to please all your publics!

Lekone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lekone said...

During my internship I also have learned that time management is one of the most valuable things in the work place as it waits for no one and it can never be bought.I was doing my internship very far from where I stay. It took me about 3 hrs to arrive at the workplace as I was using different public transports which are not reliable in most cases and there is too much traffic jam in the mornings. My boss has told me to arrive at work at exactly 9:30. I was feeling rushed because I thought she couldn’t understand my situation. She was so strict about time .The very first day I overslept and woke up at around 8, that was the normal time I was used too. Ever since that day, I started to keep time journal. Maintaining a time journal allows you to monitor how you are currently spending your time. I started to cutoff the time I spend on facebook and watching movies so that I could sleep early as I believe that for efficient time management it is important to set priorities. As from that day I started keeping time journal, I woke up on time and arrive early at work.
When you are managing time you will find out that 24hours is enough to do whatever you want to do. Managing time is a skill that could be acquired through daily practice. It organizes how you live and you will have no worries about achieving your goals.

Lekone said...

hi everyone,


During my internship I also have learned that time management is one of the most valuable things in the work place as it waits for no one and it can never be bought.I was doing my internship very far from where I stay. It took me about 3 hrs to arrive at the workplace as I was using different public transports which are not reliable in most cases and there is too much traffic jam in the mornings. My boss has told me to arrive at work at exactly 9:30. I was feeling rushed because I thought she couldn’t understand my situation. She was so strict about time .The very first day I overslept and woke up at around 8, that was the normal time I was used too. Ever since that day, I started to keep time journal. Maintaining a time journal allows you to monitor how you are currently spending your time. I started to cutoff the time I spend on facebook and watching movies so that I could sleep early as I believe that for efficient time management it is important to set priorities. As from that day I started keeping time journal, I woke up on time and arrive early at work.
When you are managing time you will find out that 24hours is enough to do whatever you want to do. Managing time is a skill that could be acquired through daily practice. It organizes how you live and you will have no worries about achieving your goals.

14465295
Cyberjaya

SophieC said...

Hi Natalie,

I have also been faced with the importance of time management! My time management is SHOCKING and being on time is something I have struggled with. As much as I always tried, I was always ten minutes late, so being on time was a personal goal of mine which in the last couple of weeks I have managed to achieve. Hopefully i keep it up and have kicked my bad habit!

Anonymous said...

So true, but so hard to apply! However, simple reminders like this help you go a long way in your life, study life and of course career. Thanks for the post.

Ketshepile Nyati said...

Hey Natalie
Well i would definitely say that i am of the same idea that time management is a very important pillar in every organisation even though its not easy.Imagine waking at 5:30am every morning for 1 and half months of course its not easy but eventually becomes easy with practice. punctuality is of paramount importance in each and every organisation.During the first week of my internship i used to encounter some difficulties with waking up that early because the earliest time that i was used to waking up at was 9:00am since most of my classes begin from around that time. As time went on i started being punctual at my place of work.
It all comes with dedication, determination.When you are dedicated and loving what you do, time management will be at the top of your priority list.The organisation that i worked in, is an organisation that puts forward hardwork, dedication and punctuality in every little aspect of their organisation and in everything that they do.Immediately when i stepped into their office, i knew this was a challenge to me and i had to become like them in order for me to have a sense of belonging in their organisation.
14464700 (LUCT)

AmyCharlotte said...

Hi Natalie
I most certainly agree with you and you have definately learnt a most valuable lesson. Throughout my life I have fouhnd that my time management skills have just become better. Without good organisation and time management my time at Uni would have been even more stressful. I also agree that opportunities always seem to be marked by a deadline, and to procrastinate is to (possibly) miss out. Being a mature age student i have been a part of the 'real world' prior to beginning my degree, and time management is paramount. Taking this away with you from you placement is great and a lesson worth learning. Enjoy the rest of your placement...and keep meeting those deadlines : )