Monday, September 19, 2011

Rotto Placement- Final straw

Hey all,

So I’m writing this blog coming up to my final three days at my placement with Rottnest Island Authority, yay! Although during my time there I have learn a numerous amount of skills to take on with my endeavours into the world of PR, of which I’m so grateful for, I won’t lie, I am very excited to have my extra 2 and a half days a week back to begin working on this monstrous report!

Since I last spoke to you guys, I have been able to secure my report worries and have had much more of an opportunity in performing more PR related activities, and learning the backbone of the RIA and their media/PR policies and strengths. Currently throughout my time at RIA, I have been based within the marketing team, that control event management, however more lately I have had to opportunity of working with their single Media & Corporate Communications Manager who is based at the complete opposite end of their long and narrow offices at E shed, Fremantle.
This has been great because it has really given me the opportunity to sit down face to face and discuss current strategies, policies and procedures regarding the Public Relations aspects at RIA. I have also learnt much more about their organisational structure within the office, and with it being a low funded government department, how it is somewhat disjointed, especially within the PR division that really is only focused on the ‘media’.

Furthermore, upon the lead up to the Basin rescue event that I have coordinated with the Events Development Officer, Marcia, I have also now had the opportunity in drafting up several media releases, that will hopefully be published within the current promotional aspects of celebrating 100 years of tourism on Rottnest Island.

My final three days will see further drafting and editing on my current media release work, whilst also two more opportunities to go over to work practically on the Island with another corporate business conference, and finally the Basin Rescue celebratory event which will be held this Sunday the 25th, that I’m super excited about! Fingers crossed everything works out!

Good luck to everyone,

Kayla Wilkie
14286535

No comments: