Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stepping out of the office - WesTrac

Hello everyone,
So study week is upon us - I assume I'm not alone in using this time to work on my report!?
Today I was able to step out of the office and attend a WesTrac photo-shoot. The photo-shoot has been going to near on two weeks and involves visiting 10 WesTrac branches across NSW and WA - last week they visited 5 locations in NSW and this week they were travelling to Port Headland, Kalgoorlie, two locations in Perth then to Bunbury on Friday.
Today I was fortunate enough to attend the Welshpool location. This branch is extremely large; after our 1 hour tour of the location by the branch manager my supervisor ended up cancelling the Guildford photo-shoot which was supposed to be in the afternoon due to the amount that needed to be covered at Welshpool.
It was interesting to observe the operation of a photo-shoot, the interaction between the photographer, my supervisor and the branch manager. The branch manager was getting very excited about the professional photo's he could get and eventually my supervisor had to step in and remind the photograph who we were there to get photo's for. I also observed the amount of correspondence that occurred via mobile phone; all the emails and phone calls while my supervisor was out of the office.
This got me thinking: How often, on average, do you think a PR practitioner works out of the office or away from the desk? What percentage of the work a PR practitioner, and potentially many of us once we complete our degrees, will be completed by working in different locations or from our mobile phones??
Good luck with everyone’s report, until next time!

Brooke
Bentley Campus

3 comments:

Mr Bots said...

Very exciting experience, Well today everything is assembled around Public Relations and we all should realize that communication runs the world, i foresee great things about Pr as a profession...all the best with your report, Go and be the change that you want you see in the workplace:)

jessica said...

hi Brooke
I hope you had a great placement at Wes Trac and it sounds like you really enjoyed the photo shoot, especially that you were always going to different places for the shooting. I hope you learnt a lot during your placement with them and you are going to write a very interesting report.I agree with you that technology has made things to be much easier for the PR practitioner especially when it comes to communication. We can easily get connected with our clients while on the go, office is no longer the only place where practitioners do their work, they can do it even on their phone either on Facebook, twitter etc.

wishing you the best of all in your work.

Jessica Richard
LUCT

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.