For the second year running, Therapy Focus took part in the Perth Royal Show, and the focus of my internship with Therapy focus was to work with colleagues to plan and coordinate this years involvement. This year Therapy Focus participated in the IGA Yellow Brick which meant that along with the normal Therapy Stall which involves activities such as crafts, face painting and disability awareness activities, a sunflower planting activity would also be included for the 20,000 people participating the Follow the Yellow Brick Road.
Planning for the event began as soon as everything was wrapped up from the “I am Special/Jarrah’s Jigsaw” book launch. The key aspects I needed to do for the event was to create a key activities list, and event checklist involving absolutely everything I would need for the show, the promotional strategies I would use, recruiting enough volunteers for the event, and creating a timeline and a budget.
The first thing I did was create the key activities with everything that would be happening at the show and everything I needed to do in preparation for it. This included everything from the arts and crafts activities, face painting, disability awareness activities, the sunflower planting, the ‘sunny the sunflower mascot’, merchandising, signage, promotions, volunteer recruitment and organisation, the budget, etc. Once I had organised everything I needed to do and determined how many volunteers I would need to do this I began recruiting the volunteers. This was done through mediums such as university volunteering programs, volunteers WA, online, and internal communications. Organising the volunteers was the largest and most time consuming job in organising the show as I had a large amount of positions to fill and it required lots of communication with all interested persons.
Whilst organising the volunteers, I created my finalised event checklist including everything I would need for the show, a budget of items needed, and a timeline. The promotional side of the Therapy Focus stall at the show was kept minimal as promotion was already given through being a part of the yellow brick road. The main promotion for the show was through Therapy Focus’ webpage and their facebook page as was as in the quarterly newsletter and internal communication.
The build up to the show was fairly busy and nerve racking as it was the first event I have coordinated and I wanted everything to go perfectly. I was confident in the week before the event that everything was organised and was excited for the show to start. As in any event, I was expecting that certain things may go wrong or not exactly according to plan so I had prepared myself to deal with any issues that came up.
I will keep you posted about how the show went in my next blog!!
Planning for the event began as soon as everything was wrapped up from the “I am Special/Jarrah’s Jigsaw” book launch. The key aspects I needed to do for the event was to create a key activities list, and event checklist involving absolutely everything I would need for the show, the promotional strategies I would use, recruiting enough volunteers for the event, and creating a timeline and a budget.
The first thing I did was create the key activities with everything that would be happening at the show and everything I needed to do in preparation for it. This included everything from the arts and crafts activities, face painting, disability awareness activities, the sunflower planting, the ‘sunny the sunflower mascot’, merchandising, signage, promotions, volunteer recruitment and organisation, the budget, etc. Once I had organised everything I needed to do and determined how many volunteers I would need to do this I began recruiting the volunteers. This was done through mediums such as university volunteering programs, volunteers WA, online, and internal communications. Organising the volunteers was the largest and most time consuming job in organising the show as I had a large amount of positions to fill and it required lots of communication with all interested persons.
Whilst organising the volunteers, I created my finalised event checklist including everything I would need for the show, a budget of items needed, and a timeline. The promotional side of the Therapy Focus stall at the show was kept minimal as promotion was already given through being a part of the yellow brick road. The main promotion for the show was through Therapy Focus’ webpage and their facebook page as was as in the quarterly newsletter and internal communication.
The build up to the show was fairly busy and nerve racking as it was the first event I have coordinated and I wanted everything to go perfectly. I was confident in the week before the event that everything was organised and was excited for the show to start. As in any event, I was expecting that certain things may go wrong or not exactly according to plan so I had prepared myself to deal with any issues that came up.
I will keep you posted about how the show went in my next blog!!
Kate Evans
14263143
No comments:
Post a Comment