Yesterday was my final day at the EMRC.
The time I spent there was amazing and the things that I learnt were invaluable. The people there, amazing.
Knowing it was my last day actually made me feel sad. I was welcomed with open arms into the organisation. I was a part of their team, not just a student that was interning for a semester. I made many friends, including another Curtin University PR student, who is planning on doing her internship next semester.
I'm glad that I chose to do my placement at the EMRC, it was a great learning experience and also gave me a great indication of what the "real world" is about, and how it operates. Being a part of the organisation not only taught me about PR, but taught me things about myself. Working gave me a big boost in confidence and the ability of speaking up, even if i'm a bit nervous about doing so.
During the semester, I was also offered a position in a PR and Media Consultancy in Leederville called Mills Wilson. I was emailed my job offer on a day that I was actually working at the EMRC! At the very least, my team was probably more excited than I was (which would have been hard to top!)! It was amazing to see such a supportive group of people! Staff from the rest of the organisation learnt of my new employment and all came to congratulate me and offer their support. I start my new position (full time, around university work) the week after my exams finish. I can't wait to start, and still can't believe i've secured myself a job for when I graduate. I'm ecstatic!
| The gorgeous flowers from my team! |
Back to the EMRC, my final few days were quite sad, and I had not only developed a bond with my team, but the staff around me. On my final day, we had an afternoon tea - for an employee from the I.T department. I did feel bad (but it was quite funny) as most of our staff learnt that yesterday was my last day at the morning tea. They decided that rather than it being David's birthday morning tea, it was my goodbye morning tea - so I did steal his thunder - by mistake!! I also received these beautiful flowers from my team, which was a really nice thing to do - I was really not expecting them!
I could not have thanked them enough, and I would like to thank them again. I could not have survived a day without Teresa or Teale, I owe them so much. They were great mentors, guides and friends during my time at the EMRC. I could not have asked for anyone better to work with or a better place to work in. If I could do it all over again, I would!!
But I do have my new job awaiting.....
My report has been completed, and i'm neither sure how many hours of sleep i've lost or how many bunches of hair i've pulled from my head! But I must say, it was really enjoyable writing the report. It was a great reflection of the past semester. When I look over the report that is ready for submission, I can't believe how much work I have done in my placement and how quickly the time went by!
And so, I've completed the final frontier....
And so, I've completed the final frontier....
For the rest of you out there, I hope you're not going to lose too much sleep tonight on your last minute touches!
Goodluck!
:)
1 comment:
Sounds like you've been very lucky in your choice of placements and that you were able to work closely with a great team and that they were very accepting of you joining them for your internship!!
Its great to see that as well as learning new PR skills you were also able to learn things about yourself and grow as a person.
Good luck with your new job I hope it all goes amazingly and is everything you expect it to be.
Post a Comment