Sunday, January 22, 2012

Networking in Action

Hi Guys,


My pervious blog was about my meeting with the leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott. I also discussed in brief how I had the opportunity to converse with other influential people, both in political sense and in public relations. Since this time there has been further developments and I am now involved in an amazing program because of it. Let me explain…

At the meeting with Mr. Abbott I was introduced to a lovely lady who worked with Senator Michaelia Cash. We began talking about what we currently do and what our passions were. It turns out we had very similar ideas on many human rights issues and she gave me her business card. I got to work the next day and looked up on the internet a few of the amazing organisations she had mentioned to me the day before, such as the Global Poverty Project. They were exactly the kind of organisations I would like to work for when I’m a grown up (When I leave university and have to work in the real world). I emailed her straight away. I wrote a brief outline of what we spoke about the day before and expressed how keen I would be to be a part of some of the programs she was involved in. A few emails later and a few more people being added to the emails I was offered a wonderful opportunity. I filled in the forms and crossed my fingers that I would be accepted.

I was accepted!

I am currently part of the Young Women’s Leadership Program (YWLP). The program is worth $1000 per person; however the Department of Immigration and Citizenship through the Diverse and Social Cohesion Program have given funding for 25 women aged between 18 and 30 from different cultural and religious backgrounds an opportunity to complete the course for free. The course is designed to connect inspiring young women leaders, discuss local community issues, develop networking skills, speech writing, increase blogging and social media skills, and learn more about cultural diversity and international relations. YWLP is affiliated with numerous global organisations, many of which have representatives as guest speakers throughout the program. One of the organisations I am particularly interested is the Young UN Women. I am hoping that my networking skills will continue to develop and hopefully I can make some connections with UN organisations.

I went to my first workshop last week (18th Jan) and I met some of the most amazing women I had ever met. The YWLP is held in the Muslim Women’s Support Center of WA. Everyone was from some of the most amazing place on earth; the Middle East, North Africa, India, and any other super cool countries. Everyone had an incredible story about their life and it has made me even more excited to go back to my next workshop and learn more about these wonderful women and their stories. Below is the YWLP logo.


My end goal is to one day work for the United Nations or the World Health Organisation. Through networking at one event, I am now involved in a program and meeting people which are enabling me to step closer to my goal. I’m so excited and I can’t wait to tell you more about my exciting journey. I hope you are all feeling as fulfilled as I am…

3 comments:

Elizayuen said...

Hi,
wow, first and foremost i like to say congratulations! Sounds like your on your way to cut some exciting grounds. And to have more enriching work that interests you which is excellent. I've come to realised that within the PR circle, you never know who you will meet and where these people you meet are able to take you to, perhaps opportunities that would simply just pop up like yours. Hence, i like to emphasis on the networking aspect of the industry which i do believe serve to help alot. It give one the chance to mingle with people, build up your communication skills and of course source for future opportunities that may arise, once again congrats and i hope you'll enjoy your experience.

Eliza

Amy Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Rose said...

Hi lori,

I too would like to congratulate you in being accepted into the Young Women Leaders Program! It is such an amazing feeling to be taking your first steps towards achieving your goals and dreams!

I can relate to your networking success as this is how I made myself known to the organisation I was interested in interning with! It is amazing how one conversation can create such a powerful link in your career!

I find what you are doing very interesting and exciting! Your dream is huge and I wish you all the best in achieving this! It seems that you are taking the right steps and are working hard toward it.

Good luck with the rest of your program I look forward to more stories about your experiences and the people you meet within the program.

Amy