Hi everyone,
It's the first day back at uni for most people today and soon it will be the first day of some students internships which is exciting!
I have been doing a variety of tasks at Sunset Events lately, as well as continuing media monitoring and organising publicity documents for each event. Janelle, the communications manager, printed out the survey results from Southbound 2011 and this year, as well as the results from Moshtix. There was a quite a bit of information to sort through! My task was to work out the main changes from Southbound 2011 and 2012. The paperwork given to me showed where people bought tickets from, how people heard about the festival, how much people would spend at the festival, how many people camped, what age groups attended, the backgrounds of people and the postcodes where punters came from.
It was really interesting pouring over all this information because it showed the target demographic of the festival and gave a great overall picture of the festival. I compiled a document and calculated the percentages and numbers that changed between the two years of the festival. There were some notable differences. Surveys are actually so useful because I think that would be a way to improve them and cater to the needs of the target audience. It also gives a good indicator of who attends so that key messages and strategies can be tailored to that specific audience when promoting Southbound!
I realised there can be one downfall to surveys and that is inconsistency. The 2011 surveys were conducted on a certain number of people, and the 2012 survey was conducted with half the number of the 2011 survey, so it is hard to say as larger audience and variety of festival goers were approached. The other problem was that the surveys were conducted differently in each year so it made it impossible to compare some data when it was done completely different. Surveys need to be uniform each year so that you can get a broad picture of the changes and make accurate assumptions.
I have also been looking up flights for a potential competition for West Coast Blues n Roots, a festival coming up on the 1st of April. Singapore also has a roots festival (as they also had a Laneway too!) so my communication manager is brainstorming potential competitions and so I've been doing research to see if it is feasible. I know there may be a few students from/in Singapore so if you're a blues and roots fan you can get more info at www.rockandroots.com.sg/!
I've been doing a fair bit of research for a confidential matter which I'm sure will become public sometime in the near future, but that has been interesting and I've really enjoyed doing it. I find research so enriching because you learn so much! Other than that, I've also been trying to help with SLAM- Save Live Australian Music. It is a cause pretty close to the hearts of all live music lovers to help save live music because it is quite a dying thing. Janelle was looking for bands to get on board and support the national cause but found it quite difficult. I've just been making a document of the WA publicity of SLAM for Janelle to report to the national counterpart.
As usual, there is so much more to say but I will have to save that for next time! Can't wait to hear more about everyone's internships, hope they are all going great!
Until next time,
Lisa
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment