Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Straight in the deep end

So the first day at my work experience placement will definitely be one to remember.

I walk into the office fifteen minuets early to make sure I make a good first impression and after a ten minuet briefing I find myself sitting in a meeting with a client listening and note taking all about their website design and where value can be added. While learning this was extremely interesting and exciting for me at the same time I was so nervous to be dealing with a client straight away, thank goodness my supervisor was hosting the meeting and I was just sitting in.

I picked up on what the client was wanting from their website, and was later shown by one of the website designers how to go into website back ends to add in text and images. I really enjoyed doing such a creative job on my first day.

Later I was shown how to do something they call SEO reports, Search engine optimisation. This means where a client’s website sits in search engines such a Google and Bing, this is found from keywords attached to their websites that potential customers may type into search engines. The higher up on the Google search page the client’s website sits the better. They do this report on a monthly basis and each month they use Google Adwords to research what words are being searched most and add those to the websites keywords to better their SEO position.

My last job of the day was to assist the Marketing executives in preparing for four expos they have coming up in the next couple of weeks for four of their different clients. This was the highlight of my day as it meant I got to go shopping! Only to office works and Big W for all the stationary items needed but it was still fun and I learnt all about how to prepare for an expo along the way from my trusty supervisor. Once back at the office I got to gift wrap personalised gifts for a conference on Friday. I was also given the down low on why giving personalised and branded gifts are so important. Which is, “to wow the client,” so they do not forget you, the trick is to give a quirky unusual gift to make the customer think about it and relate it back to the company it came from. For example today the gift was for a company who turns 30 this year so we will be giving those who go to the conference a clock that has a magnetic board attached to it that you can write on and rub out as many times as you want. On all the boards I wrote “Happy 30th Birthday” and set the times on the clocks before wrapping them up.

So all in all I had a very busy day, and my brain is over flowing with information, but I really enjoyed it and can not wait for my next few weeks.

Until next time,
Emeline

No comments: