Blogger: Grace Akang
Company: Promaco Conventions
How it all began!
At the start of the year I have just came back from a long and deserved holiday from Indonesia. Commencing my return to university, I yet have gotten a placement for my PR 393 unit. As this was my last semester, it was impossible for me to delay anymore time. Trying to find a placement was difficult, positions were either filled, or the companies were just not interested. By week two of being back at uni, I still have not gotten an internship. I've applied to many PR companies and event companies, and no luck. I was freaking out!
Thankfully I was a member of the PRSC (Public Relations Student Chapter) at Curtin and they email me on a regular basis on any internship positions available. Because my main passion was on events, I wanted a placement that had some form of events management. At the end of week two, the unexpected happen. I received a phone call from an event company and they were interested in me. Just as I thought all hope was gone, my luck started turning around. I booked an interview, researched about the company and I was motivated than ever to get this placement.
Promaco Conventions is an event company that specifically deals with high scaled corporate events, mainly conferences. I told them about my situation and the internship program I need to complete for Curtin and after meeting Livia, the managing director of Promaco, she agreed to take me on as an intern for 20 days. I was ecstatic and so excited to learn more about events and the world of events.
My first week at Promaco.
Livia agreed to take me on for 20 days and my timetable was twice a week, Thursdays and Fridays. My first day at the office I was placed in my own cubical and a list of 'Things to do' for the day, the week and the month and also other projects. I already knew that this internship was not going to be breezy, but very busy. Livia also explained that she has six events for the year and three so far for 2013, so she needs all hands on deck. First day and I was already taught a lot, it was such a roller coaster ride, but an enjoyable one. I felt so professional and trusted, as I was responsible for my own tasks and Livia expected me to work as hard as I can to get all the tasks finished and up to her standards. By Friday I was already given one major project for an event that will be held next year. I was responsible for a sponsorship plan for the event. This means writing up a plan of what potential sponsors will get in return if they sponsor that particular event. I was both overwhelmed and over joyed as it was something new and exciting. I couldn't wait to start and see what I can come up with.
My first week was both busy and exciting and I got the opportunity to put the theory I learnt at uni into practice.
I'm more excited to see what other plans Promaco has for me and what other projects come my way.
What ever it is, I'm glad Curtin has implemented this unit, as it really is an experience for our future.
Till next time,
Grace Akang :)
No comments:
Post a Comment