Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FIRST MEETING...

NAME: JEREMIAH LESEGO

CAMPUS: LUCT

Hello everyone!!!

My challenging experience was my first meeting. It was an annual meeting organized by the minister of agriculture. My supervisor asked me to go and represent our sector (information and public relations) at the meeting and come up with news worthy information for my news article. I arrived in time, but some arrived before me and were still greeting each other, looking for sits. For me I didn't know even a single one of them, and seeing that I was the youngest amongst them I started to get nervous and got confused, I did not know what to do first and even where to sit.
For the first 30 minutes of the meeting, my page was still blank, I did not write a thing, I imagined myself going back to the office empty and what will my supervisor think of me. I went out of the conference room, I told myself that I have to go back in and behave like a public relations person. I had little confidence but I realized to boost it I should make friendship with those I am sitting next to, I asked them "what did I miss?", they showed me their papers, I ran my eyes through and gave them back their papers. I started feeling part of the people in the room, doting important points down and getting everything that is being said.
I went back to the office and my supervisor asked me how was the meeting, I was confident at that time, I told her the meeting was great and she was surprised as it was my first meeting and was held by the minister, she told me to prepare a news article for our sector (information and public relations). Early morning I submitted news letter to her and was very happy and said "you were really listening and that’s a good start".
I realized in Public Relations environment what you have to do is apply what you learnt and what is left is your confidence, that’s the most important thing.

See you next time....

2 comments:

Will90 said...

You know what they say "First impression lasts longer", its a good thing you were able to impress your supervisor from the beginning and it looks like she was quite happy with your work which proves you had done a great job.

leshjay said...

Really it was a good thing because from that moment, I gained confidence in all what i was doing. Thanks for your comment Will90.