I've been producing information packs, brochures, conducting
interviews, writing sponsorship requests, writing media releases, writing, writing,
and writing and writing...
No one really sees the work (and paperwork) that goes behind an event. Sometimes, it's hard to see it even when you're the one doing the work. I love what I'm doing, but in the past few weeks, I've been wondering where all the things I'm churning out are going to, what all the words I've spun together mean and how are they going to change anything.
This week (just a little bit past my halfway mark), I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. I'm starting to see things in action, see people consume what I have put together and hopefully, post-event, someone might be impacted by it.
We are kicking off the Global Good Foundation's epic year with the very first Global Good Kids Camps this week. Children aged 8-12 who have been impacted by domestic violence will be attending the camp and soaking up all the wonderful skills and experiences that will help them become confident, strong individuals. I produced an information pack for the participants’ parents which includes information about the camp's development, as well as stories from children and parents who have seen lives changed tremendously because of similar camps. The interviews I conducted to get the stories in the info pack were both heartbreaking and heart-warming. One of the interviewees got back to me pretty late, and I just got the final copy in to my supervisor at close to 11pm last night! Talk about PR being a 24 hour job (checking my email has become a huge obsession)!
My supervisor said the media release I wrote for “Jump for GGF” (a program where people who raise a minimum of $500 get a chance to sky dive) was picked up by one of the community newspapers, so I’m looking forward to seeing how that’s going to turn out. Media wise, we've got something very exciting lined up this week, but I'm not going to say what yet. Hint: It is going to be on TV!
Sponsors have also been very supportive of our fundraising and educational programs which will be starting in the next (primary school) semester. That's going to be a big one, and it is one of the programs which I have come to really familiarise myself with because I hope to take it home to Singapore one day.
I know I am so lucky to be working for the GGF, that I’m seeing and learning skills beyond public relations, that what I do somehow helps bring hope to children and smiles to faces, that however small a part I play, at least I am a part of something big.
I've attached a story written by a former camp participant which I included in the Kids Camp information pack. It's definitely worth a read.
No one really sees the work (and paperwork) that goes behind an event. Sometimes, it's hard to see it even when you're the one doing the work. I love what I'm doing, but in the past few weeks, I've been wondering where all the things I'm churning out are going to, what all the words I've spun together mean and how are they going to change anything.
This week (just a little bit past my halfway mark), I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. I'm starting to see things in action, see people consume what I have put together and hopefully, post-event, someone might be impacted by it.
We are kicking off the Global Good Foundation's epic year with the very first Global Good Kids Camps this week. Children aged 8-12 who have been impacted by domestic violence will be attending the camp and soaking up all the wonderful skills and experiences that will help them become confident, strong individuals. I produced an information pack for the participants’ parents which includes information about the camp's development, as well as stories from children and parents who have seen lives changed tremendously because of similar camps. The interviews I conducted to get the stories in the info pack were both heartbreaking and heart-warming. One of the interviewees got back to me pretty late, and I just got the final copy in to my supervisor at close to 11pm last night! Talk about PR being a 24 hour job (checking my email has become a huge obsession)!
My supervisor said the media release I wrote for “Jump for GGF” (a program where people who raise a minimum of $500 get a chance to sky dive) was picked up by one of the community newspapers, so I’m looking forward to seeing how that’s going to turn out. Media wise, we've got something very exciting lined up this week, but I'm not going to say what yet. Hint: It is going to be on TV!
Sponsors have also been very supportive of our fundraising and educational programs which will be starting in the next (primary school) semester. That's going to be a big one, and it is one of the programs which I have come to really familiarise myself with because I hope to take it home to Singapore one day.
I know I am so lucky to be working for the GGF, that I’m seeing and learning skills beyond public relations, that what I do somehow helps bring hope to children and smiles to faces, that however small a part I play, at least I am a part of something big.
I've attached a story written by a former camp participant which I included in the Kids Camp information pack. It's definitely worth a read.

4 comments:
first of all, what a great placement! To also se the outcome of something you have written or produced, must be such a joy. Good luck in the future Danielle!
Indeed it is a great joy to see your hard work making an impact and "bearing fruit" so to speak! congratulations! it sounds like the experience that you have gained from helping to organise this event definitely will help you when you get back to Singapore! looking forward to reading what other exciting things are in store for you in this placement!
Hi there,
GGF what a fabulous organisation to be working with. I know Tenielle well and admire the work she has done in the field. GGF have also had some impressive media lately (the project was particularly beneficial to the organisation I'd imagine). Are you attending the camp?
What an experience, I look forward to reading more.
Ashlee Harrison
ashlee@zero2hero.com.au
Anniella: Thanks! Same to you!
––: Thanks for your comment. Leave your name next time so I can thank you personally!
Ashlee: I attended the last day of the camp and it was just great to see the kids have so much fun, you would never guessed they've been through anything. We've been getting lots of enquiries after we were featured The Project! GGF is going to have an amazing year :)
Post a Comment