Hi Everyone,
I want to take this opportunity to say how excited I am to not only pass on some of the things I have learnt during my PR degree and career but also learn from everyone else's experiences.
I have always been very sure of the direction I wanted to take my PR degree in, even down to the company I wanted to work for. Music has always been a big passion of mine and working with bands was always been a career goal. I was fortunate enough in my final semester of my second year to land my dream job and am currently the PR and Marketing manager for Amplifier Capitol and Metropolis Fremantle. It is there that I have had the pleasure of working with many bands that I have idolised for so long.
This job has, so far, taught me many things that my Uni career or even my internships could never have prepared me for and everyday I learn more and more.
This previous week we held a Superhero dress up party at a club night we recently started called Frat House Fridays at Metropolis Fremantle. Frat House Fridays is a Friday night party held at Metropolis Fremantle. We promote a fun and friendly dance party night which is easily affordable by University and Tafe students.
Everything in our office is so fast paced that sometimes we all find it very difficult to keep up and I have had to learn the hard way to be very organised, detailed and to not only double but triple check everything.
This month was also the launch of the Avengers movie and I was able to use the relationships we have built with one of our street press magazines, Xpress, to get some free Avengers tickets to give away to some of the best dressed patrons that came to the event.
We do not always have the pleasure of having a few weeks leading up to the event to promote and prepare for it and sometimes we have to work very quickly. Sometimes we will decide a matter of days before to host an event and it is then that I rely on my checklists and diary to monitor and prepare for everything properly.
Each night is like an event and each event has many aspects of it to keep track of, it can often be quite daunting. I have learnt this week that it is so important to write everything down and checklist it, no matter how many times you may have done an event similar and used the same procedure, something could always slip through the cracks.
I wonder if anyone else is finding their internships to be as fast paced and are benefiting from learning this lesson before they get into the working world of PR? It would be interesting to see if someone had any hints and tips besides the regular "checklist" or "to do list" methods of making sure nothing is forgotten or overlooked?
Hope you all have a fantastic week and I look forward to reading any comments or suggestions you may have.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.

4 comments:
Hi Maureen..
I hope your internship was fruitful.
My internship at Possal is also very hectic as nothing gets exactly as it should be. Last time, we participated at a Fashion show and in the last minute a model decided not to work. I had to look for another one and make sure that the outfits would fit her well.. Thankfully everything ended well...
As for methods to cross check everything, I prepare a list first, then my colleagues check if everything is ok then we check again once the work is done...
hope it helped you..
x0x0
Your internship sounds so much fun!! I’m currently doing mine at Devahasdin, a west perth based boutique consultancy. I’ve only done a couple of events with them but I am really enjoying event management. Even though it can be quite stressful and full on, I find it so rewarding. I am also finding my intership really, really fast paced, even more so when we are launching a product or planning for an event. I have found that writing reminders and checklists is really helpful in keeping everything organized and together otherwise things can get a little over whelming and hectic! I love learning new things and applying what I’ve learnt throughout my degree to the tasks I’ve been assigned. Good luck with the craziness of it all and I hope u continue to love it!
Regards
Jeacinta Martino 14269073
Thanks guys, seems lists are the way to go here!
All the best with your internships!
Thanks,
Gina
i had the same experience as you during my internship, as we always had something to do, sometimes the work was so much that i thought of quitting but i am glad i didn't because it has taught me so much.
Post a Comment