After a few weeks in my practical placement my manager has decided to give me a brief on a project she wants me to take into my own and carry on through out my placement on top of my other daily jobs.
It is a great feeling to be given something that you have full reign and control over and it gives me the opportunity to show what I can really do. My boss had told me last week I need to show a bit more initiative and go beyond the boundaries, so although this project is a small one I am making sure I make an impression!
So my manager briefed me that they have engaged one of her clients in sponsorship deals with various other companies, but the client is struggling to see the benefits in sponsorship for their business. So she said to me she wanted me to work on a way to prove to the client how their sponsorship deals are benefiting them.
Since then I've done some research on sponsorship and how it can improve brand awareness, stretch out to a broader market, and how profits can be increased. I wrote up a document of what is sponsorship, how it is used, and the benefits of using sponsorship. I then got a nice black hard cover book and pasted this in the opening cover. I then went sourcing through all the brands the client sponsors social media sites and print screened Tweets and Facebook updates that involved the client. With these screen shots I then wrote a short summary of how this was effective how many people it would have reached that the client would not have with out it. I have also been going through the daily papers cutting out and scanning advertisements that mention out client through their sponsors and doing the same thing with a summary of where its placement was in the paper, how this is effective, and created more awareness for the client.
Having only been working on this project for a week I showed my manager and she loved it and used that word I had been so much hoping she would “showed my initiative.” This is an ongoing project I shall continue to work on through out my placement and I really hope it helps the client to see the benefits in sponsorship.
Until next time
Emeline
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
3 comments:
Hi Emeline, great to hear that you now have your own project to take care of!
I felt the same way when my boss gave me my first project to do, writing an article for one of our clients which later actually was published (will write more about it in one of my next blog posts). In the first around two weeks I was just busy with all the 'routine' works such as media clippings etc., so once I got my first own project, I was really happy since I felt that this was finally the opportunity to show my boss what I really can do. I also experienced that it is very important to show some own initiative when you want to get your own project or some other work to do. Don't wait for your boss or anyone to come and talk to you, rather you should approach them directly and tell them. And in my case it really paid off well, my article I was working on has been published, and after this I got a lot more interesting and demanding tasks to do since my boss saw what I was capable of..
Looking forward to read more from you,
Christoph
How good of your supervisor to let you know that you need to show more intitiative. This gives you a chance to improve instead of hearing about it in the end. It's hard to know what you're doing wrong if no one tells you about it! Good luck in the future!
Post a Comment