Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Second Week Experiences

NAME: Boikanyo Dudu William
CAMPUS: LUCT

Hi, I am back to share with you how I spent my second week of placement at the Ministry of Finance & Development Planning Botswana public relations office. On my second week I was given the tasks of media monitoring, attending meetings as well as been  in charge of answering the ministry's toll free telephone as i was already acquainted with what the ministry's public relations office deals with.

All these were great experiences, but answering the toll free telephone is one of the tasks I enjoyed most because through them I got to learn a lot about customer service in terms of how I should communicate with a client because good telephone etiquette is vital in building good customer relationships. People would call the ministry to enquire about various things therefore my task was to make sure that they were given help if possible and if I did not understand what they needed my supervisor was always around to help me out with  the ministry's information. I enjoyed this because I like helping people out therefore I had a great time doing this task as it was something I liked and I believe if one enjoys their work then they are sure to bring good results.

Media monitoring is also one of the tasks i did during my placement, i started monitoring what the media reports about the ministry from the first day of my placement and i was still doing it in my second week. This helped me personally because I developed a habit of reading the news everyday and i was more and more enlightened about what is happening both nation wide and world wide.

I was also invited to attend the corporate communication's department meetings which is the department i worked under and in these meetings i attained more knowledge about good employee relations. I was fitting in very  well and enjoying my time at the ministry as my co-workers where very friendly people who made me feel at home and they were always there to assist me in anyway possible.

Until my next post *peace*
Boikanyo

5 comments:

Onalenna Kgositau said...

It sounds like you get to do a lot of exciting things in your placement and is even more interesting since you develop a habit that a media student should have, reading newspapers, this is what i call getting the best out of your placement dear.
Thanks for sharing with us

Will90 said...

It sure was exciting and the experience has helped me grow both personally and professionally

Mercy Louw said...

Hello Miss William
I think you had fun and gained a lot of experience, i am always telling my friends that the reason why just a few of people prosper in life is because they are doing what they like the most and the rest are failing because they are just doing whatever they are doing to earn a living ,they don't do follow their passion.
It is good because employee relations is one of those things that made your placement the right place to gain experience, a healthy employee relations in an organization is a pre-requisite for organizational success.
I have read your posts and it shows that PR is your dream career and doing what you like and value is gonna help you go far places.

Keep sharing with us what you experienced dear.

BathoM said...

Did you ever come across a very angry customer when answering the toll free? If so, how did you handle it?

Will90 said...

@Mercy i sure did and what you tell your friends is very true one has to love their job in order to be successful professionally.
@Batho luckily i have never come across an angry customer mostly people would call to enquire on how the ministry can help them or acknowledge the ministry for a good job. However i was told that i should be calm and professional while answering customers calls at all times, i think i would have handled it very well.