One thing I still find strange about writing communications
at work versus at uni is the word count. You spend years finding new and unique
ways to reach the required word count for your assignments, then realise that
in the real world, short and sweet is usually the preferred option. It’s a
pretty big adjustment to make!
We are putting together our newsletter at the moment and as
most of my stories only fill a half page, considering pictures and the layout
even 150 words for each story is pushing it. Let’s face it: it’s pretty hard to
tell a story in 150 words. I’ve spent the day reading and re-reading to try and
cut down my stories to fit and it can be a pretty frustrating experience.
My first instinct when cutting down is to quietly sulk that
it sounded better the first time around, but
I’ve started to realise how much bulk you can put into a story without even meaning to. It forces you to really examine your writing style and where you can improve, where you can become clearer and more concise. It can be difficult to edit your own writing but in my experience, it’s a really important skill to gain.
I’ve started to realise how much bulk you can put into a story without even meaning to. It forces you to really examine your writing style and where you can improve, where you can become clearer and more concise. It can be difficult to edit your own writing but in my experience, it’s a really important skill to gain.
Even now, with my
last three paragraphs I’ve reached 206 words and am wondering if I’ve written
enough to fulfil my expected blog ‘word count’. It’s exactly this sort of
thinking I need to banish in the workplace!
1 comment:
Hi Melissa,
I agree with you entirely! I have written some copywriting work at my internship with Exa Web Solutions and the rules to it require strict word limits per web page and key word counts. I guess practice in the "real world" of PR enables us to let go of the borders that university creates for us. I heard a quote from somewhere which reminds me of the borders (word count) that limit us. "Borders are where the actual ends but also where the imagination and story begins." I hope that inspires you a little and good luck with the rest of your placement!
Evelyn
Post a Comment