Thursday, May 24, 2012


THE EVENT IS HERE.

The 2012 ABU Symposium, was set to take place from March 6-9, it attracted major broadcasting industry players from the Asia-Pacific region and around the world. It included a conference, workshops and an exhibition of the latest developments in digital television and radio. The purpose of it was to help equip regional radio and television broadcasters with the knowledge to chart and manage their digital transition. I was given a task to work with the Public relations officers under technology department to prepare for the symposium.

  On the day before the event I had to pack more than 200 hundred conference bags that were to be given out to the delegates, the exhibitors, the sponsors and visitors. The bags were two kinds of bags, the black carry all bags and non woven bags and inside them I packed the technical review, a handbook, brochures, a flyer, a notebook, and a pen. The bags were to be given out the next day and I had to make sure that all the booths for the exhibitors and sponsors are well prepared. This was the most time consuming task that I had to carry out and it was a challenge too.

One of my tasks at the symposium was to place the quiz on the booths for everyone to participate. I was assisting Bahadir who is a company engineer to mark the quiz and find speakers from different companies-broadcasting companies to give out the prize. Every day of the event I was in charge of announcing the winner of the daily quiz. After marking a random picking of winners was done by the company representatives and I was the facilitator of this operation. My public speaking improved a great deal. To me I saw it as an improvement to my presenting abilities as before then I was shy and had stage fright. The daily presentation gave me confidence and my speaking skills were improved. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and as a PR intern i was glad to have witnessed it.

No comments: