Sunday, May 6, 2012

KRISPY KREMES! Now that I've your attention...

I am at the end of my placement, and for the first time since I started, I’m behind on my work. There’s just so much to do, and the end-of-semester workload for my other units are piling up. I can’t believe that my time with the Global Good Foundation is almost over.

Well, technically I’ve already finished my 20 days, but I’m staying on till the end of the semester, and hopefully continuing after a 3-week visit home (Singapore). I guess going for a 3-week break feels like the end for me and it feels like I have unfinished business because things move so quickly at the GGF. Every week I’m working on something entirely new. I just can’t imagine what I’m going to miss out on when I’m gone. For a start, I’m missing out on our latest and probably most delicious donation drive – KRISPY KREME SALES! (For those interested in getting your hands on these amazing donuts, please comment on this post with your email so I can send you more details.)

My confidence has grown so much with my supervisor’s guidance and advice. I feel like I trust myself and can be trusted to produce quality work. I’m no longer just asking for work or asking how I should do stuff, but making suggestions and acting on them.

For example, my supervisor asked me to come up with an information sheet for the charity’s membership program. She asked me to put in all the stuff I put into all the other information sheets I’ve done.

The thing is, while I know information is important, I felt that slapping paragraphs and paragraphs of information and text on a piece of paper wasn’t the right way to get the message across to potential donors. Moreover, there was already so much information on the website, and if people were interested to find out more, that is where they could go (plus you have to go online to sign up anyway). It would be such a waste for words to go unread if I’d thrown all the information in, and it would not make sense for me to write something like “For more information, visit www...”, only for the potential donor to find the same information online.

Instead, I felt short, powerful copy should be used instead to inspire people to find out more first, and hopefully end up donating. If they don’t do the latter, at least they have been to the website. So I wrote some really short copy, and justified it with what I mentioned above…and my supervisor liked it!



This is probably going to be my last entry here. I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts, and I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my placement too! Remember, comment if you want to get your hands on some Krispy Kremes.

3 comments:

grace said...

Im glad you are enjoying your time at your placement Danielle and it seems you have learnt and experienced a lot. Good luck with everything.

charlene tan said...

Hi, Danielle, it seems that you have gain a lot from your internship. Congratulation! Being appreciated in what we've done is really an overwhelming feeling. Wish you all the best in the future and Enjoy your holiday.

Wee Ee said...

Hi Danielle,

I could really see that you've grown and gained so much from your placement since the first day. I'm sure it'll be extremely beneficial to whatever you want to do in the future. Will definitely get some of those krispy kremes from you! xx

Wee Ee