Monday, May 7, 2012


Blog4 – Confidence
This was the last period of my practical placement at Kanyana and I was excited about completing the reports and recommendations for the Wildlife Park.   You could say the recommendations I made for Public Relations are the culmination of my research and collaboration here, but in many ways it has been much more.  I have learned more about Australia’s unique flora and fauna and the commitment and spirit of the volunteers has made a lasting impression on me.  Jen and the Kanyana team have been particularly supportive throughout my time at Kanyana and I was thrilled at the positive evaluation she made of my efforts and contribution.

Another PR Marketing campaign has also been a practical success.  I had completed a detailed marketing survey and preparation before the marketing/PR campaign commenced. I created an attractive Kanyana advertising flyer that included a beautiful photo of Kanyana’s wildlife.  As part of a new strategy I proposed for Kanyana, aimed at Mandarin speaking visitors, I translated Kanyana’s background information and visiting details from English into Chinese. 

At the largest Chinese language school for children in Perth, I organised a formal meeting with the principle and teachers in the school.  In that meeting, my presentation included an explanation of how the meaningful and beneficial an activity at Kanyana Wildlife Park would be for both children and Kanyana.  I am so happy that the principle and teachers are very supportive with the Kanyana marketing PR activity. The activity was held as part of an end of semester party  - a day that all parents and students were present on campus. At the party, the proposed activity at Kanyana was accepted by a large number of parents. I took the role of spokesperson and explained to the parents and students who were interested in knowing more about Kanyana wildlife as they queried about it. My explanation was focused Kanyana’s unique opportunity for wildlife education and how meaningful it is visiting Kanyana for children in summer holidays.  A couple of weeks later, we received the first family visitors who were reached by this promotion J and we are looking forward to seeing more children from the school visit our wildlife at Kanyana.   

While we were welcoming the new visitors, my Kanyana PR Final Report was presented to Jen.  She was thrilled with my work. She gave me a big hug with a huge smile on her face. Of course I got a very high score in my intern appraisal form from Jen and the Kanyana leadership team. 

Throughout the 20 days practical internship, I started to realise how important the academic material and theoretical background I have learned in classes was. Without this professional knowledge, I couldn’t have achieved the excellent results I did on my placement.  When I think back and reflect on these 20 days work, I also realised that I have applied much of the PR theoretical knowledge I have studied at Curtin. I felt a more meaningful appreciation of the PR lectures and tutors on campus I have learned from, as I could see those ideas in practice and be part of putting them into achieving tangible results in the community.  After the placement, what I really want to say is, thanks lot! to all my PR teachers who have given me the lectures and tutorials, and I also want to say that I really appreciate the great opportunity Jen has given me to work with Kanyana for my practical placement, and thanks for all Kanyana staff who had also supported me to finish the Kanyana PR Report and for everything over the course of my placement. 

Today I can say that I feel a more confident as a person who is able to work in professional PR business in future.    

  

No comments: