| Vision-Board Making |
Hello everyone!
I’m Justine Lai, currently interning at
Porter Novelli (PN) Singapore and in the midst of my final semester.
For my third post, I would like to share some valuable things that
I’ve learnt working at the PN office.
When I first entered, the office had just begun to undergo some managerial
changes due to change of employees and staffing. Our new Managing Director,
Jimmy, implemented fresh practices and one of them is the Brainpower Session,
where the PN team gets together every week to learn and share topics that are
beneficial and could be applied to our public relations (PR) work.
For our very first session, we had guest speaker Tim Love (Biography),
Vice-Chairman Omnicom and CEO of APIMA, to speak with us on ‘How Asia Got Its
Name.’ Porter Novelli is part of Omnicom Group, a holding company which
specializes in advertising and marketing and has a network of more than 175
companies worldwide. Thus, we all felt appreciative of Tim for taking his time
off to speak with us.
Being in the industry for over 39 years, Tim Love oversaw how the media affected each of the generations and the evolution of new media. The internet shifted the influence power from traditional media to people, who now possess greater influence as well as the ability to control the social media and trends. An advice given by Tim was that clients appreciate and value the ability to shape things fast, and the right application of strategies. It was a very fascinating and thought provoking presentation.
Being in the industry for over 39 years, Tim Love oversaw how the media affected each of the generations and the evolution of new media. The internet shifted the influence power from traditional media to people, who now possess greater influence as well as the ability to control the social media and trends. An advice given by Tim was that clients appreciate and value the ability to shape things fast, and the right application of strategies. It was a very fascinating and thought provoking presentation.
Another session that caught my interest was by
GMR Marketing, a company also under Omnicom which shares the same office as PN.
Lisa Johnson heads GMR Singapore as its Asia Lead and the company specializes
in sports marketing.
One of the recent projects undertaken by GMR was
the P&G campaign for the London Olympics 2012 shown above. The GMR team
shared some back-story of how sports marketing is being carried out, such as having
athletes undertaking ambassadorial roles and how products are being marketed
through sports. The team also described the challenges that they faced during
the P&G Mom Campaign as they had numerous of responsibilities, like
taking-charge of the linguistics and hospitality of the athletes’ mothers
during the London Olympics. The session was very intriguing as it never
occurred to me how huge sports marketing is in the industry and the crucial role that athletes play in product marketing.
The PN team also had our own creative discussions during the weekly
brainpower sessions, such as vision-board making where we thought about our own
future achievements and how we aim to balance our work-life.
![]() |
| Product of our Vision-board making session, guess which one is mine? |
These weekly sessions are extremely refreshing and really beneficial.
I think it is really good to put off work for a few hours and learn about the
different facets of PR. Being too focus with our work may not always be good,
and the knowledge that we gain during these sessions definitely make a
difference to how we perform in our work. I feel really lucky that I’m in PN,
as I’m able to take these great insights home with me every week.
With love,
Justine Lai
15215640
Curtin Singapore

2 comments:
Hi Justine,
I am XinYing from Curtin Singapore currently interning at Watermelon Communications.
After reading your post, I realized that your company have a lot efforts to help you guys to look at PR in different and interesting ways. I am sure that the brain storming session is very interesting, which will help you to be more creative in your PR work.
I believe that having weekly brainstorming session not only help you to be more creative, but it can also help to strengthen working relationship with your colleagues and makes working more easier (Cause there are more interactions!)
I think for your vision board making session, the one with the title "in good spirits" should be yours? Am i correct?
Maybe I shall propose this idea to my intern company too!!
All the best in your internship!
Best Regards,
Song XinYing 15646570
Curtin Singapore
Hello Xin Ying,
thank you for your comment and readership! :)
Yes the brainstorming sessions were really insightful and it did help me with my work. In addition to that, I also got to meet several people from external agencies who came as guest speakers, which were really different and something which I personally think Porter Novelli is great for.
You definitely should propose this idea, and may I kindly suggest for you to list it as one of your recommendations for report? haha just saying luh :)
Unfortunately your guess wasn't right, and my vision board was the one with the title "Take a Break." But great guess though!
Best of luck for your internship and report XinYing!
With love,
Justine Lai
15215640
Curtin Singapore
Post a Comment