Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gaining Exposure and Making Contacts!


Hi everyone!

I have finished my first placement at Presbyterian Ladies College last week – it was a great two and a half months of part time community relations experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The team I worked with were really nice and I learnt a lot. However, I now know that that type of environment and field of work is not what I would like to work in. I think it is a little slow-paced for me and I believe I am suited to a place with a more intense nature that is more challenging to me. It was worthwhile being there though and I am glad for the experience. I am on the Public Relations Student Chapter as the Design Coordinator and last night we hosted an event – PR in Mining & Resources. Many of the PR professionals that came to talk to us said that any experience is very worthwhile and that sometimes you have to do some jobs that you may not like or suit you to get to where you want to be. I think this is wise advice and applies to me in this situation.

I am still doing my placement at Kings Park for the Kings Park Festival. I am really enjoying it there. We had a lot of work to do in the last few weeks leading up to September (the start of the festival) and we had a lot of our content be released onto the website, articles published in newspapers and photo shoots for the newspapers as well. Something that was not mentioned in my job description, but I got the opportunity to be in the promotional photo shoot for the West Australian. It gained a lot of exposure for the festival and there was a lot of positive feedback from it. Here is the photo that was in the West Australian!


Now that the festival is underway it will be great to do some work out in the field and see where all my hard work has been going!

Till next time.
Kelly

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good and interesting post. I feel very similar to you; my placement was a good opportunity to get an insight into government but not sure if that is where I want to be. But I think your experiences will definitely give you advantage when it comes to apply for future positions, as it seems like you have been covering a broad field of PR in your placement and at the work experience at Kings Park. All the best, Karolina.

Unknown said...

I got almost the same experience with you, but it has given an added advantage to me, in terms of future references.

Danica said...

Hi Kelly,

I agree that sometimes you have to do jobs that you don't like or don't suit to get where you want to be. I think it's particularly important to recognise that as our time at Curtin comes to an end and we all start looking for jobs. We all need to be able to prove our skills and ability first, gain good experience and then see where it leads to. Good luck with the Kings Park Festival.

All the best,

Danica