Thursday, October 11, 2012

Confessions of a PR Intern: So You Think You Can Do PR?


Hi everyone,

I’m guessing that with the report due tomorrow, most of you would have completed your internship. In that case, congrats! For most of us, it’s never an easy transition going from school to working full-time. I’m surprised I haven’t bailed! Just kidding.

I might have been relatively confident about my PR abilities while I was in school, but working alongside the pros all this while has made me realise that there are always bigger shoes to fill.  (It’s a slow climb up to the top, isn’t it?)

At the end of this journey, I guess it’s time for us to take a step back, evaluate our experience, and ask ourselves: Am I well suited to a career in PR? Is PR what I want to do? How did I do?

Okay, maybe I should slow this down. First - what skills does a PR practitioner even need? Here is my list:

1. Work under pressure

I’ve doubted my ability – ever so slightly – to survive in the fierce and unforgiving PR industry, especially in recent weeks where the stress of tight deadlines and never-ending work almost got to me.

So I’ve come to admire some of my colleagues who can handle anything – I mean, anything – under stress. The ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines – to me, that’s one skill I’d love to have.

2. Good writing and oral skills

Very standard – this is even in our Intern Appraisal Form. (By the way, did you peek?)

That said, of course no one will be expecting an intern or even a fresh graduate to write and speak like a pro. This is a skill that needs to be learnt and practised over time, which brings me to my next point…

3. Attitude

My previous point – that oral and writing skills can be practised – makes it easy for anyone without a PR degree and communications background to wiggle their way into the PR industry. Doctors, lawyers, indian-chiefs! Zzzz.

So I firmly believe that while all the PR theory and jargon we’ve learnt can help us excel in our PR careers, at the end of the day, our attitudes towards our work count for more. In my opinion, aside from being diligent and responsible, we should be quick to learn, and always curious. With the right attitude, I'm sure we'll find ourselves at the top one day.

4. Social skills

The ability to relate to people is an important skill to have in this industry. In the course of our work, we’ll have to meet people – media, clients, vendors... Networking is an important part of PR, fortunately or unfortunately.

You can take a look at this article here, too:

So... Do you have what it takes? I’m not sure about myself, to be honest! But this internship has made me all the more determined to go out and conquer. I love PR, and despite the stress, I love my job. For one thing, I know for sure I won’t be switching careers anytime soon... What about you? :)

Got your own list? Shout out in comments!

Cheers,
Cheryl

15062105 / Curtin Singapore

---

> To learn more on how I ended up at FH, see "Confessions of a PR Intern: Just Getting Started!"
> Some lessons you just can't learn in school. See "Confessions of a PR Intern: What School Doesn't Teach You"
(Opens in a new window.)
> Mistakes, mistakes. What happens next? See "Confessions of a PR Intern: Oops! I Did It Again"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for sharing!

Indeed, some of us are still wondering if we have what it takes to do PR (me included), even after the internship has come to an end. We all have to agree that no matter how much one can do PR, certain happenings still do get you down and you question why you are in this line once more.

Nonetheless, I agree with the attributes you listed. The most important one out of your list for me, will probably have to be the right attitude. Attitude intertwines with the other three attributes and to be honest, no one really wants to work with a snob. I also feel that one's attitude and aptitude, if right, helps give birth to a unique PR persona that can be extremely beneficial in our line.

Wishing you all the best for your report and future career!

Cheers,
Grace Ong
15230928
Curtin Singapore

Karolina said...

Hi Cheryl,

Interesting post to read!

I believe we all feel a bit unsure about the future when we are about to graduate. However, this is a feeling which is mutual for all graduates in all industries, because we are not sure what is about to happen. We all have to start somewhere and by studying PR at university are a big achievement to get where we want to be. Always remember to have the right attitude; I believe that is one of the key aspects to succeed in any environment.
All the best,
Karolina

Justine Lai said...

Hello Cheryl,

I must say that I really agree with your sentiments.

This internship has also made me reflect on my PR skills and the skills that you listed are those that makes me worry the most.

I guess through this module, all of us here know that being a PR practitioner is no easy job. Multitasking and personal sacrifices definitely needs to be done, and in order to conquer these as well as the attributes you listed, is to have a good management and learning capabilities.

What say you? :)

Best of luck and keep in touch Cheryl!


With love,
Justine Lai
15215640
Curtin Singapore