Today marks the second week of my PR internship. But first, let me briefly introduce myself. My name is Renee and I am currently undertaking double major degrees of Public Relations and Management in Curtin Universtiy Bentley. However, I am currently having my internship placement at Corporate Communication department in Curtin Sarawak. This is the third internship I have in my higher education life. Previously, I had my practical internship in operational departments of Four Points by Sheraton hotel and Marriott's Resort and Spa respectively during my diploma study. Nevertheless, this is my first time undergoing an internship in administration department.
![]() |
| Entrance upon communication department Curtin Sarawak |
Although I had a similar part time job experience in administration department yet being in communication corporate department is far more different than the one I had before. As you can see on the new signboard beside our department entrance, listed out the job scopes of corporate communication department.
On the first day, I was warmly welcomed by my amicable colleagues and also my department manager, Mr. Nicholas Leong. I was quickly brief through on our department on-going activities and also events in coming weeks. Mr. Nicholas gave some brief yet detail information on the tasks. He also encourages me to partake in any tasks that I am interested to learn in depth. Due to that currently is just the beginning of the year, our department is not as eventful as the time around the year end. Hence, Mr Nicholas suggested that as a fresh starter in the department, I shall start from the scratch ---
![]() |
| Newspaper for press / media monitoring |
Tadaa! Yes, that is the amount of newspapers I read everyday. I need to read through newspapers from different local or national press in three main languages -- English, Malay, Mandarin and occasionally, the native language. This is for the purpose of media and press monitoring. Later on, the articles featuring on Curtin Sarawak will be cut out and use as press clipping. I was told to monitor on the press or media released by our competitors as well. My supervisor taught me how to calculate the value of each news distributed or featured by different press firms. I was also given a chance on drafting a press release as well as monitoring few important information on the Curtin official webpage to ensure accurate information is provided to the web visitors.
I guess that is all for my first week of internship. I certainly am more expose to the real PR industry. Not only that I manage to apply what I learnt academically into practical use, I also get to learn some new insights from doing different tasks given by my supervisor. I am glad that I have chosen the right place to learn the basic of the PR industry. I am looking forward for tomorrow task and coming Friday event! I will be sharing more of it after. I hope you enjoy your internship as much as I do.
Till then!
Renee Tiong Ai Li
15621580
Curtin Bentley


4 comments:
Welcome back to Miri Renee!
Whao! Back to Curtin and do your internship! Haha! It will be easier for you to adapt the environment soon. But doing the PR job is quite new for us and hope you can enjoy it!
Thanks Wei Quan!
It is good to be back to Curtin to do my internship. Curtin Sarawak is like my second home :) Hope we all can do it well in our internship and share more experiences to each other!
Have a nice day! x
Wow that's a lot of newspapers! Do you have to read magazines as well? I understand that Malaysia has a lot of Lifestyle publications!
Looking forward to hear more about your internship placement updates!
Hi Joanna,
Apparently I didn't read any magazine during my internship. I am working in an education institution. Magazine for education industry is not really popular in Malaysia. :)
Thank you for dropping by! Have a nice day!
Post a Comment