Friday, January 4, 2013

Life as a PR intern

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing my internship at Red Army Watches as a PR intern. My company is in the watch industry, where they bring in non-mainstream watches directly from the watch makers. Red Army Watches started in year 2004, it is still consider relatively small company with 3 outlets in Singapore, 3 in Malaysia and 2 in Indonesia. There are plenty of room for this company to grow, with the help of marketing, public relations and advertising they will be able to achieve it.

Before getting a position as an PR intern, I was working as a full time as sales assistant so I am familiar with how the company operates, the brands in the shop and the people I work with. There are three people that will assist me for this few weeks will be the managing director, the general manager and the operation manager. As they are the ones that handle all the marketing and communication stuffs. Hopefully with my help it will reduce their job loads so that they can focus on expanding the business.

The managing director treats me like a full time staff, he got me a new table, new PC, new chair and even set up the PC for me. He also let me choose the colour of my table and I chose green table top and pink legs, now it has Christmas feel in the office. He probably expecting me to stay for long or maybe hiring another marketing and communications staff after me.

The main job scope for the week is to plan for the company end of year, as the boss will be flying off for his holiday. He said that he will prepare a to do list for me, can't wait to see what kind of job he is saving for me. As I am still in the midst of planning the company dinner, I will update on the company dinner and picture of my desk in the next post!

Jieting

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jieting!

It's nice to hear that you're working in a familiar environment! Even though working as a PR intern is very different from working as a sales assistant, I'm pretty sure that your previous work experience helped a lot with regards to adapting to the company!

I'm in a similar situation as you too, as I'm working in a fairly new company which just started in 2010. I think that new companies are more reliant on public relations as most of them do not have enough budget to advertise on mainstream media, so it will probably be helpful to us in terms of learning more about PR!

It's nice that you got to choose your own furniture! Will you stay in the company even after your internship?

I hope to read more from you soon! :)

Ee Boon said...

Hi Jieting!

You have no idea how nice is it to finally be able to hear from you about your experience at your work place.

I think there are certainly benefits about working at a place where you are familar with, and i am speaking not merely for the familarity of the people and culture.

In my opinion, working for a brand or company that you had prior ties with allow you to more easily comprehend and better relate to its business intent/stakeholders management strategies, which is vital in public relations. I am speaking from my experience where I was asked to assist this company where I was working previously with this minor ad-hoc PR project of theirs. Having had worked with them for 2 years then, I found it so much easier to do up what was required because simply, I know the company and the industry better.

The case for my company is so much different. Like I mentioned somewhere in an earlier post, the industry that my company operates in is so niche, it is impossible to have learnt about it before joining the company. My co-worker told me that during her first month in the company, all she was asked to do was to read up about the company and the industry. 1 entire month! I had no more than 30 minutes for them and the rest of it I was left to read up on on my own.

So lucky you.

Anyway, look forward to hearing more about your company's d&d.

Hope all are well.