Saturday, January 5, 2013

New look for the New Year


On Wednesday morning, I was pretty sure that I walked into the same office I had been working at for the past month. However, it looked a little different, and it certainly took me some time to get used to it. One thing that’s good about this new layout is that I am finally not facing my back to my superiors!

The old layout had the permanent staff sitting in the middle, facing each other, and the interns sitting right at the side of the office, facing the wall/window. I feel that my colleagues have become more approachable just after a simple change in layout. It’s much easier to talk to them now, as I no longer have to turn my head back just to do so. Most of all, I feel more included in the office, as I am now able to partake in discussions more comfortably.

Even though it’s a little late since I’ve already been working for a month, I’d still like to take you guys on a tour around my office! 


The above is a picture of my work area! Now that there’s a picture, isn’t it easier to understand why I said that my colleagues are more approachable? Well, from this picture, it’s also quite obvious that my office is quite small, and we only have a few employees. Doesn’t this layout remind you of that of a meeting room? I sit at the place nearest to the window, and I’m provided with a laptop to do my work!  


Even though Foxysales is an online retail store, we have a showroom too, and it is also located at our office! Like in the pictures, we display items that are on sale, are going to be on sale, or already have been on sale at our website! Over here, you can see a variety of clothes, bags, sandals, jewelry for women, as well as clothes for kids! My photography skills probably don’t do these pretty items justice, but I really like them, especially the bag that’s slung over the mannequin!

I hope this gives you a better idea of how my workplace is like, and in the next post, I’ll cover something that’s more relevant to public relations. Till then, au revoir!

Tay Si Min Priscilla
15909891
Curtin University (Singapore Campus)

4 comments:

Jieting said...

Hi Priscilla,

You have a nice work place! Isn't it stressful to have your boss sitting so close? The layout looks more inviting for discussion as it really looks like a meeting room. My office is small too and my boss is sitting beside me, I always feel that he is staring at my screen even though he is not. With all the merchandise in the office, it's so tempting to shop during working hours! Probably you should ask if there is staff discount ^^ or asked as a belated Christmas present! Looking forward to your next post!

Rivorynee said...

Hi Priscilla,

Greeting from Malaysia!

The new layout of your workplace looks compact and friendly. I love it! I think this little change helps engagement between you and your colleagues which eventually creates stronger bonding in team works :) My workplace is individually set up and everyone is hiding behind desktop. This makes my workplace atmosphere awkwardly quiet. It looks like your online company is really organized and starting on well.

Hope to hear more from you about your job scope in this interesting workplace!

Renee xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Priscilla,

I know how you feel about the office layout. My office is very small too as I'm interning at a boutique agency.

The way my office is set up is that all desks face the left and right wall and we have our backs towards each other with the window in between the two walls. Though, this isn't much of a problem for us as there are only two main people at the office and three interns at the moment. We're all very comfortable and help each other- I actually like our set up. Our office atmosphere is very relaxed as we always have music playing and sometimes we even have conversations about silly celebrities and whatnot.

I suppose every office has different ways of setting up their workplace and figure out what works for them!

I hope all is well at the office and that you're learning lots!

Karen

ricky.tan1110 said...

Hi Priscilla,

You are so lucky to have a nice working environment!I believe that the new layout will be more comfortable for you and to strengthen the relationships with your colleagues. My office is around 11 person including me, but we are less communicate because everyone is busy on their own work. So it's sound like your working environment is better than me.

Looking forward to hear more about your work! Good Luck!