Hello everyone!
Hope your internships are going-on fine and you are all having a wonderful experience or at least learning the most from it.
Well, as a start off, I’m Benoit de Lapeyre. I am in my last semester at the Charles Telfair Institute in Mauritius and I am currently in an internship at Imagine Communication. The company is a Media and Public Relations Communication Consultancy firm found in Port-Louis, the capital of the island. The company not only operates in Mauritius but also has clients in Madagascar, Reunion and other countries of the Indian Ocean. The firm deals primarily in media relations, intelligence and documentation, and event coordination, amongst other Public Relations services.
For more detailed information, you can consult the company’s website;
It has been almost a month since I started my internship and this whole month could be summed up by a phrase my director, Jean-Marie Richard, said on my first days as an intern;
“You are here to unlearn all that you were taught in school, only to learn again how things are really done”.
When I started my internship, having already experienced previous work environment (though not in the PR field), I did expect things to be different than what I was taught during my university years. However during my first weeks as an intern, I realised that the basic PR knowledge you receive during the course of your studies are simply guidelines, basic stepping stones. They only provide you with a global understand of the PR field. However when applied in the real life, PR becomes much more complex and extensive.
Since our first PR modules we were taught that PR should be a Two-way symmetrical model, but when applied in real life it means that we should understand and interact with the society in which we operate. It requires an understanding of society as a whole; its history, its traditions and its customs. Here in Mauritius, it is even more important taking into consideration our multi-cultural background. The insight I gained after this first month is that PR may be taught in theory but however its application in real life requires experience and on-the-job training to have concrete results.
I believe that we, as future PR practitioners, should have an open yet critical mind when dealing with our studies in the communication fields, even more for international students. As a Mauritian studying for an Australian university, I realised that my studies may provide me with an internationally recognised degree but ultimately as a PR practitioner I will only have the basic knowledge and understanding of PR. I will always require an adaptation and learning period in every context I intend to work in, even more taking into consideration our rapidly changing society.
I also wished to share a remarkable quote which portrays my thoughts;
“The curious thing is that with these exponential changes, so much of what we currently know is just getting to be wrong. So many of our assumptions are getting to be wrong. And so, as we move forward, not only is it going to be a question of learning it is also going to be a question of unlearning.” -- John Seely Brown.
The full article, which also provides a very interesting debate on Tacit and Explicit dimension of knowledge, can be read on the following link;
I hope I gave you some interesting food for thought.
So until next time,
Good Luck to you all for your internships.
3 comments:
Hello Benoit
While reading your post, I could identify similar feelings that I got during my internship at IMS.
During my placement, I realised how things work out differently out there. Let me tell you a small experience related to a project to increase our clients’ visibility. What we learnt in class is that a client comes to us, explains his problems and what is expected from the PR organisation. However, we never came to a case where we have to look for opportunities that is, that we had to search for potential clients.
So this is actually what IMS intends to do. The company wants to lead and be proactive. Thus, what we did is that we reverse the course of action. I carried out a market research on our existing and potential clients so that IMS could analyse which company lacks visibility and awareness. Then, we would approach these clients and propose them PR plans that could enhance their visibility and help them attain their other objectives.
Based on this experience, I learnt that we should not be sitting back waiting for clients to come to us, sometimes we have to make the first move in order to succeed and lead in the industry.
So, I hope you are enjoying your journey at Imagine Communication and good luck for your future projects.
Hi Benoit,
Thanks for sharing the brilliant idea about the process of learning, though I see each step, every moment, as an adjustment to opportunities.
I can relate what you say in your key idea of unlearning, to the fact that in 'real' life, things are much more complex, interacting with so many variables. Therefore the problem solving method and attitude becomes an inside approach to the world's challenges.
PR is linked to people and people are changing. PR is related to the economic ad social worlds. These are constantly moving. Then I can understand Imagine's view of PR as a hyper-dynamic field.
Post a Comment