Hello everyone,
I finished my internship a few weeks back and
I am now back to my student life. This sudden change was a bit disorienting but
allowed me to gain a different perspective on my internship.
During my first days as an intern I was
told how important it was to always stay aware of current news, and I remember
that my immediate thought was whether I would be able to take in all this
information.
Press Summaries and Media Monitoring formed
part of my [almost] daily life for the last three months and I have to admit
that it helped me keep up-to-date with current issues and events happening
throughout the country.
It also allowed me get a better
understanding of how the Media industry works in general.
I gained a better perspective of the
general trends; for example, which news are seen as more newsworthy to some
outlet than others, how a particular news outlet would put more emphasis on one
specific component of a story, or how certain outlets had more recurrent topics
and stories.
During the course of my studies I learned how
PR practitioners should not only target and tailor the messages but should also
know which particular outlet to use so as to reach their target audience. But
through my internship I realised that this specific knowledge is not gained
through simple one-off or general analysis of the Media Industry. I believe that it is
through a consistent contact with those different media outlets that you can get
a proper understanding of how things work.
Real understanding is obtained only through those subtle details and experiences that you gain in everyday [PR] life.
Below is a small photo I stumbled upon and which in some way share's my thoughts on how in life things may not always be what they appear and that you sometimes need to read between the lines.
(Ref: Trashware. 2013. Read Between The Lines. trashwareeu. Accessed May 28, http://trashware.eu/read-between-the-lines-841#post-841.)
So that's all for today folks,
Until next time,
I wish you the best in your everyday life.

1 comment:
Hi Benoit,
I completely understand your state of mind of post-internship, I was in the same mood at the end of my work placement too,as I got use to a workplace routine for nearly 2 months and to be back to a full-time student life was quite desoriented.
I fully agree with what you said and I would like to add a bit about your points. I think that media monitoring and press clipping are important and even crucial parts of PR analysis and any serious marketing research.I have been performing all these tasks during my entire intership too and I found it so interesting and fascinating at the same time.
However,quality monitoring requires more complex work than just following what is reported by the media. Media monitoring is the precise identification of your business's position in terms of collective consciousness and professional environment, activities of your main competitors and other existing trends.
Regards,
Charlotte Lam
Post a Comment