Hello People,
As the title itself is telling you I am pretty sure this was even your experience to learn about media releases.
Today the topic of my
blog discusses about media releases which I am sure that since the first module
during our Public Relations course we have been learning or at least heard
about the usage of media releases and how it is an important tool for Public
Relation Practitioners.
During my internship at Marcom Co ltd, I
have got the chance to deal with a lot of media releases whether it is in English
or French, with different contents, with different styles and with different
approaches to write the media release.
In general, what I have learned from my experience
is that Communication and Marketing department work closely for example during
the launch of the new Iframac showroom for cars at Phoenix Les Halles shopping center,
the Marketing department came with the idea that they will go for promotional
sales on the various cars and at the same time the Communication department
decided to issue a media release to announce the sales and the various prices
being offered.
Overall, a media release can be said as
being newsworthy when it contains timeliness (how recent the event is),
proximity (how close to home the event is), when it is directly important to a
lot of people, when it solves a problem, when it is new, the shock value is
present (when one or more aspects of a story are shocking) and so on.
For the
example mention above of Iframac when writing such media releases it is
important to state the figures or prices of the cars being sold at which price
because during my internship I have learned that figures do trigger people’s
attention.
Another aspect media releases which I
have learned while working on several media releases for Apollo Bramwell
hospital is that when writing the title or the first paragraph itself always
include where possible the human factor which can generate human interest (when
there is an emotional element to the subject).
For example, one topic for one of my
media releases discusses about how a specific surgery only available at Apollo
Bramwell hospital helped to save a man from kidney cancer therefore while
writing and from the feedbacks I got I was advised to start with the human
aspect for this type of media release stating in the title and first paragraph
itself that this man was saved due to this surgery as this helps to attract
audience attention when it concerns lives of people.
Moreover, media releases should also
consist of shock value (when one or more aspects of a story are shocking), the
numbers of people involved or affected (would it change the lives of the
audience) and so on.
To resume what I have learned about
media releases during my internship is the lead paragraph is the most important
and it should provide a ‘hook’ for the journalist and provide answers to the
main questions like who, what, where, why and how, write in the inverted
pyramid style that is the most important information at the top then proceed
with other paragraphs which contains less important facts so as the editor can
trim the release from the bottom without losing the main information, use
catchy headlines, try to keep the media release to one page having short
paragraphs that are to the point and most essential of all to ensure
credibility of the news always include one quote at least or go the extent of
three quotes if needed.
Within Marcom Co Ltd to know every day
how much presence their media releases information got, they go for media
clipping by reviewing numbers of newspapers or magazines as an evaluation
method.
Here are some links where you can get
additional information:
Ø http://www.pria.com.au/priablog/5-seo-tips-to-optimise-press-releases-for-online-consumption
(sourced from Public Relations Institute of Australia).
Till
then friends continue posting bye bye bye.
2 comments:
Hi Ourvashi, i'm glad that you are learning how to write a proper media release at Marcom. In fact the lead paragraph is the most important one for journalists. I can tell you from my experience in an internship in the journalism at Radio one, the main information which journalists look at is the found in the lead paragraph. From the information given in the lead, journalists can start preparing their questions.
Hope you are enjoying your internship.
Cheers,
Lorry
Hey,
I especially like your inverted pyramid style of explaining the press release write-ups and your description of 'hooking' the interest of your publics.
I agree that the shock value is also one of ways that could be used to grasp for attention.
You mentioned that you wrote a press release regarding a specific surgery that is ONLY AVAILABLE at Apollo Branwell. I think that is a very well-thought out way of "selling" your press release.
Thank you for such an insightful sharing!
Regards,
Nicole Tay
Curtin Singapore
Post a Comment