Grey Group – Famously Effective since 1917
Fifty Shades of Grey?
Nope, nope.
No Christian Grey,
No Anastasia Steele,
Just Nicole Tay.
Just Nicole Tay.
Honestly, I couldn't get any more grateful when I knew I got through the interview. Everything was very much the first to me.
1st time interning at an advertising agency
1st time doing Public Relations work
1st and only resume sent for the intern job
1st time working in an industry with people from diverse culture
1st exposure to abnormally normal doings
There is nothing you can expect from a creative industry – not sure if it is good or bad!
If you heard a loud commotion or the sudden blast of music, don’t worry child, things are still in good hands!
With the constant drama, chaotic situation, and whatever you can name……….
Welcome to the advertising world!
These are some of our clients
Somehow, downloading of press releases and media monitoring for Sacoor Brothers and any print articles featuring Grey, seems never-ending.
Other than that, I was trying my best to adapt to this new environment…
Entering the office to find a rolling chair on the table with a soccer ball on it.
Exactly what I meant by it’s really abnormally normal here! Oh, and by the way, colleagues do bring their “homes” to work too. I swear I was trying not to be surprised to find mountain bikes in office or worried about my safety when a Frisbee or a soccer ball flew across the office after 6pm.
Contrary to the Curtin's professional public relations' corporate attire standards, I'm actually allowed to attend work in "beachwear", shorts and slippers unless I'm meeting the client.
Generally, the people here do have their own unique fashion sense and are into trends, turning up in bright Neon colours clothing/hair and constantly dressing up the "wild" and "wow" way.
Contrary to the Curtin's professional public relations' corporate attire standards, I'm actually allowed to attend work in "beachwear", shorts and slippers unless I'm meeting the client.
Generally, the people here do have their own unique fashion sense and are into trends, turning up in bright Neon colours clothing/hair and constantly dressing up the "wild" and "wow" way.
Summing it up: Freedom, without much constraint, does encourage creativity.
*** Emotional aspect ***
During that period of time, my Public Relations manager was pregnant and had plans to return to Australia in weeks’ time to settle down. The news came so sudden that I'd no time to respond.......
my world just toppled down.
I was lost.
But well, life goes on with or without disappointments.
But well, life goes on with or without disappointments.
I was then made to temporary report to the accounts director and help one of the account servicing teams with QATAR Airways and UD Trucks (formerly known as Nissan Diesel) presentation slides.
It was tedious but I get to perfect my creation of the presentation slides, get used to the corporate world and learn how to prepare for pitches. It also involves media monitoring for the client.
Soon, I was made to report directly to the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) for guidance regarding PR work........
Thanks for all that patience.
Soon, I was made to report directly to the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) for guidance regarding PR work........
Thanks for all that patience.
That’s all for now. Shall explain about how that arrangement came about in the next post.
![]() |
| Supporting the client's brand! Haha |
P.S Into the "Wow-derness" I roam, I shall survive!
Nicole Tay Swee Ying
15659879
Bachelor of commerce (Marketing and Public Relations), Curtin Singapore





2 comments:
I do agree Nicole, that the industry seems to have never-ending amount of fun, surprises and room for creativity. My agency allows us to work from home, and not much of the usual "constraints" and "do-nots" in PR agencies i guess. Wonder if it is a good thing or not! See you soon!
Hey Nicole, It is good that you have the chance to work in an advertising agency as you get to experience the different areas that public relations can be used. I believe that by the end of the internship, you will have a better idea of where and what you will like to do. In the meantime, just hang in there!
See you around.
Jacquelyn Woo
Post a Comment