Sunday, March 30, 2014

THE INS AND OUTS OF PR

My first impressions of public relations in professional practice were of a positive nature.

Since I'm working in a non for profit/charity based organisation [Cancer Support WA], I was very appreciative of the warm welcome I received from the entire team. In particular the PR, marketing and fundraising volunteers who I deal with on a regular basis.

They were quite willing to offer me advice and assistance where necessary. Some of the various tasks I have learnt so far include the following:
  •      Learning to use the CRM and Mailchimp email databases.
  •      Creating contacts lists and segments of corporate and local sponsors
  •      I also had to create a collective thankyou email letter and send it out to a group of sponsors for a previous fundraising event.


Writing media releases: I was given the opportunity to write up a media release for the charity event "Concert under the stars: Divalicious."

It was sent off the Fremantle gazette. This was due to the fact that one member of the singing duet grew up in Fremantle. 

CONCERT UNDER THE STARS: DIVALICIOUS

CSWA Charity event I attended at North Cottesloe Primary school.

I made sure the donation tins were being passed through the audience, and I also assisted with post event pack up. 



I also contributed my spare time to assist with fundraising events/activities by:
·         Collecting and distributing donation tins across Fremantle
·         Attending charity events to help monitor during and pack up after
·         Sold raffle tickets for a car competition in my local shopping centre where I work.

In the time that I have been in this internship, one of the main lessons I’ve learnt is skill management. It’s become clear to me that in order to have a successful career in PR and marketing, you need to have a willingness to also learn less media related skills, i.e.: administration/clerical work, graphic design. There’s more to it then writing media releases and fact sheets. 

Natasha Scekic 
15498315

No comments: