Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Conferences not an easy task!!

Hi everyone,

Today I will talk about organising a conference. During my place I have the chances to participate to a press conference and to experience the works linked to the organisation of an event.

The journalists were invited to make a media coverage as it was for the Omnicane Republic Cup 2015 and it was something quite important for the client. My task was to call each journalist a day before the event in order to confirm whether they got their invitations and also ask them if they will attend the conference. This task was time consuming as I must called at least 20 media outlets, talk to each journalist and in the case they did not receive their invitation, send another one and later call them to confirm if they received the latter and see whether they are attending the event or not. 

On the day of the press conference, my tasks was to  make sure that the media kits are up to the standards and to check whether there are no missing document. When the journalists arrived I had to fulfilled the list of attendance, show them where the conference room is and give them the media kits before the beginning of the conference and fulfilled their needs. During the latter, I must take notes of the speech, the persons present and their interest in the new agreement and the features for the Cup.

Journalists waiting for the beginning of the conference


After the conference I must write a debriefing of the event with the notes taken and also monitor a media clipping about the conference in all the media outlet in order to know how the conference is describe, its impact in terms of visibility for both the cup and for the client’s company.

In theory, press conference seems to have a lot of work but in practice, there is a lot of work which must be done precisely so that such event do not fail to deliver its final massage. Precision is very important and each PR practitioner should be able to deal with it wherever there is a lot of stress behind so that there is no negative impact from the journalists or from the client himself.

So much work for only 30 minutes of a conference.

Thank you for reading

Cedric

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi cedric

Wow looks to me like you had quite a lot to do. Now you must be aware of the demands in the PR fields and how time is of the essence. its good to know that you also has the chance to put media relations in practice as you were able to experience a media conference, taking notes and much more.
PR is indeed quite demanding and media relations is part of the demands of PR as those two are interconnected. being an intern its good that you had such an experience.

all the best in the Media field

Unknown said...

Hello Cedric,

I'm so sad you didn't enjoyed the press conference. I do agree with you, so much work in only 30 minutes. It's stressing! But when you're done, you're so much proud of you. You can say that you made it. You challenged yourself and now you're apt to make many more. The only negative experience I had with press conferences were the journalists attitudes. Some of them were so mean! One of them told me if I had 18 years old to work in a big corporate. Of you course, in a subtle and intelligent way, I just responded "Sorry Mr, you must be mistaken. I'm 22 years old and I have a communications degree, Thank you for asking." I thought, I was really rude but my boss congratulated me. It was a weird and funny situation! Good memories..

Any good luck for the rest.

Regards,

Anne-Clothilde