Throughout the past semester I have been undertaking two internships - one at Magnetize, the online marketing company in Subiaco, and one at Muse Bureau, a Public Relations consultancy based in Mount Lawley. These have led to me partaking in very different roles as time passes, and in doing so I’ve realised that I find the umbrella of public relations very enjoyable and definitely what I hope to be involved in with my career.
Muse Bureau handles the public relations accounts for some major events in Perth coming up, like the Perth International Jazz Festival 2015. I have been working on the publicity for this with my supervisor Megan Knox, and part of my work on this involves contacting various media outlets and pitching the event, then finding out if they would be interested in a feature on the festival or even an interview with any of the artists on the bill. I have then liaised with the artists themselves, and been able to organise the interviews at all levels - location, date, time etc.
I have enjoyed this work because of the interaction, both via email and telephone, with the various names in the industry, including features writers for The West Australian and Community Newspaper Group, and also talented musicians and the artistic director of the entire event, Graham Wood. It was then very pleasing and exciting when the May edition of OUT In Perth (Perth’s queer community paper) published an interview that I had arranged with the artist and editor! I love when tasks you have been working on for a long time come to fruition. It is an incredibly rewarding feeling of success - so I can’t wait to be further involved with even bigger accounts. See media clipping below.
I still find myself writing little scripts for the first couple of times I make phone calls, which I find makes me more confident and at ease - this is a simple thing to do but it makes my life so much easier! Does anyone have another trick up their sleeve that helps them in their interning?
Not long to go in the semester - keep your heads up!
Laura


3 comments:
Hi Laura,
You sound very busy taking on two internships! I'm impressed with your work ethic and how dedicated you are to the development of your career. Congratulations on achieving the front page of The Weekend West for your client Styleaid 2015. What a fantastic achievement and great experience to be involved in that process.
I also find myself writing mini scripts and rehearsing what I'm going to say before making phone calls. It definitely calms me and I feel more confident, a simple but effective tool.
Good luck with both your internships, I look forward to reading more about your experiences.
Megan x
Hi Laura,
Two internships- you must be busy! It looks like you've got a lot done throughout your internships so far.
I'm always writing those mini scripts as well! I'm yet to decide whether they're a blessing or a curse- I often think I sound too robotic when I'm reading straight from writing. My newest trick is to only write down key words.
However, you're right that it does make things easier and avoids the embarrassment of not knowing what you're talking about!
Good lucky with the rest of your time at your internships!
Anna
Hi Laura,
Sounds like you have been very busy! I previously completed two internships at the same time so I know how you feel, but I can assure you it will definitely all be worthwhile in the end.
What amazing campaigns you have been working on! I totally understand what you mean by the "rewarding feeling of success", it's so exciting when you are able to see all that hard work that you've been doing has paid off.
Good luck with all your future endeavours!
Tessa x
Post a Comment