Friday, June 12, 2015

“Know Your Role and Stick to It!”


Today I had the opportunity to work alongside the Alumni Manager, Ian Fowler, at the Old Wesleyan Collegian Association’s (OWCA) Golf Day. It involved around 50 ‘Old Boys’ of the College coming to play golf at the Royal Perth Golf Club with Headmaster David Gee.

The morning was slightly chaotic, with people arriving for registration, having to pay at a different desk, and come back to the first desk to receive their team list and when the completion would start. My role was at the first desk, to cross their names off at registration and point people in the right direction to meet their teams. Some team members had never met before, so towards the end of registration I left my desk to assist a gentleman who was still looking for his team, as I knew where his team were currently meeting.  

When I returned, Ian asked where I had been as he had several more jobs for me to do. When I explained, he discussed the importance of staying at my desk and that someone else would have been able to do it - even though everyone else was busy and I was the person available. So obviously that confused me a bit! If something similar happened in the future I would definitely ask my supervisor before taking the task into my own hands – sometimes other peoples’ experience will override initiative!


While overall the day was a success, I felt it lacked communication within the public relations department to increase time management and share all necessary information with the guests. Upon being asked for my opinion for the next event, my advice was to have a team meeting before people began arriving to ensure everyone knew their tasks for the whole day, rather than one task at a time to ensure fluidity, and communicate this better to the whole department.

No comments: