Thursday, July 30, 2015

Introducing Ellenbrook Christian College! - Emily Fromson (Bentley)






 








Interning at Ellenbrook Christian College has reinforced to me that I want to work in an organisation that heavily focuses on community engagement. 

For my public relations internship I have been interning at Ellenbrook Christian College (ECC). ECC is one of the seven SCEA (Swan Christian Education Association) schools that exist from the Hills and Eastern suburbs of Perth down to Australind. As one of the seven SCEA schools, ECC aims to partner with families and communities to provide Christ-centered education to help shape and grow future generations. Having now completed just over half of my public relations internship at ECC, I am realising that I choose the perfect placement for myself in terms of interests, work ethic and ideologies.

Having attended the College myself from year six to 12, I am thoroughly enjoying being able to have a professional influence and input on tasks that I was once involved with on a student/student leader-type basis. I am thoroughly enjoying being involved in many projects, and I often laugh to myself when I am working on a task and it dawns on me that I was ‘doing’ public relations far before I began studying PR at Curtin.

Here at the College, the marketing and public relations coordinator, the community liaison and a number of other staff members are dedicated to effectively communicating and engaging with each and every one of its’ key publics. Having now completed approximately half of my internship, it has dawned on me just how crucial public relations is to schools such as ECC. Not only does the PR staff at the College have to regularly communicate with their key publics (students, parents, the wider community), but they have to do so in a way that current students feel involved with their school community, parents feel properly informed as to decisions/events affecting their child/ren and community members feel compelled to send their children to the College in the future. 

As a Christian association, there’s so much more to lose if the organisation doesn’t succeed in their roles, as the College isn’t just attempting to enrol students, but aiming to enrol students with the intention to provide them with a Christ-centered education that they would perhaps not be offered at one of the surrounding public schools.

One of my favourite days at my placement would therefore have to be when the PR department, myself and a handful of different teaching staff staged a community engagement initiative at The Shops at Ellenbrook. From approximately 9am to 6pm, ECC had a set up at the local shops, which was manned by one or both of the community liaisons, and one or two members of the teaching staff. ECC stages this event each year and the aim of the initiative is to get out into the community and talk face-to-face with the community members. In staging the event, ECC aims to communicate/interact with community members in an engaging and memorable way. This event was no ordinary “enrolment drive”!

Ellenbrook Christian College's 2015 community engagement initiative at The Shops at Ellenbrook.
So there you go, that’s my first blog post for PUBR3002. I’ll be back soon to talk some more about the PR world at ECC! 

Emily 

No comments: