Saturday, July 11, 2015

Yes-Yes or Yes-No? How Cross-Cultural Communication Affects P.R


Hi guys,

My name is Molly and I am one of a lucky few to have nabbed myself an intern position at GO Communications. GO is an international Public Relations firm based in Malaysia. So that’s where you’ll currently find me; living and working in the hot, bustling madhouse that is Kuala Lumpur.

I walked into this experience with my expectations deliberately low. As I started telling people leading up to departure, all I want to do is keep an open mind and be receptive to new experiences (side note:  it probably sounded more like ‘well, um, I just want to be open-minded and not, like, freak out or anything’). When asked what I looked forward to most, the answer was simple; the chance to work in an entirely different culture, broaden my horizons and the food of course. Boy, have I got all that I wished for!

Malaysia is country that is multi-ethnic and multi-cultural. This diversity affects everything from politics, to business, to the languages spoken day-to-day. The three largest demographic groups are Malay (60.3%), Chinese (22.9%), and Indian (7.1%) – each of these groups bring their own belief, values and way of life to this melting pot of a country. Another game-changer is the state’s religion; the constitution of Malaysia declares it to be Islamic whilst allowing freedom for Non-Muslims.

So how does all of this affect my work at GO? Where do I start! First, the office operates around the three primary language groups of the country; English, Chinese, and Malay. Not only does this make the task of media monitoring more challenging, it also means that any transaction outside the office involves interacting with people whose English may not be 100%. To date I've found intercultural communication involves being patient, remaining calm and enunciating clearly in order to make sure wires aren’t being crossed.

Religion also plays a part in the corporate world. Being an Islamic country modest work attire is a must. This rule does not really apply in the GO Office (heck, my colleagues walk around in thongs!) but when entering government buildings women are required to be covered and at any event you attend it’s safest to adhere to that rule too. Given this, I never leave for a day at work without a jacket slung under my arm – just in case!

Last but certainly not least, the concept of ‘saving face’ is huge in Malaysia. Saving face is a desire to avoid embarrassment, to maintain dignity and preserve your reputation. In an attempt to avoid disappointing you, many Malaysians say ‘yes’ even if  they may not actually mean the affirmative (Yes-no is a thing here –Gah, so confusing!).  This has huge implications for public relations and business in general. Imagine pitching an idea to a client and not knowing whether they truly like your idea. Or perhaps, calling a newsroom to see whether they are covering your event and only receiving an ‘um, yes…’ in reply. To overcome this, you often you have to talk around the topic to determine whether their yes is real.  This can make day-to-day planning very uncertain; but it also makes you more attune to peoples body language, their gestures and their tone of voice. Given the fact that most of the time it’s not what people say; it’s the way they say it, learning how to be more observant will do nothing but benefit me in the future.

Until next time,
Molly 

3 comments:

Elena Brand said...

Hi Molly,

This is such an interesting read. From the dress code, to the language barrier, and the intercultural communication quirks (e.g. the yes-no), I felt like I could live vicariously through your experience.

I appreciate honesty, openness, and occasionally bluntness. To be told 'yes' all the time, even when it's a 'no' in disguise would just throw me off balance completely. Do you find you're getting better at it? Or even copying the behaviour yourself?

Thanks for sharing!

Elena

Unknown said...

Hey Elena,

Aw shucks! I'm glad you liked the post.

I'm definitely getting better at recognising Yes-No's; I think that skill comes practice and I hope I can put my new found observation skills into practice when I return home.

In terms of adopting the behaviour myself, that's a definite no - I guess I can't shake that bluntness. What I have done is tone down my tendency to tell it how it is, especially with particular people. For example, my colleagues in the office are more straight-forward whereas at events and dealing with the media I have to trend carefully.

Thanks for the comment and I look forward to reading your posts!

Unknown said...

I am on the same page here as you with the yes yes no thing! It took me a while to finally agree that yes actually means no in about 99.9% of cases. Even just asking for directions became very overcomplicated at times. Kuala Lumpur was certainly a different experience and some of the cultural differences were at times confronting, especially during the timeframe of Ramadan.
I am so glad you enjoyed your experience there!

Rebecca