Friday, August 14, 2015

PR, MEDIA, JOURNALISTS, EVENTS, FILMS, GLAMOUR AND WHAT NOT...!!!!

So I left Perth to do my internship, and choosing Sydney as the place to do it was an easy decision to make. Sydney is a beautiful, big, busy and bustling city, an ideal place for PR in my opinion.

It was after three weeks of my arrival I started my internship at Cardinal Spin, a PR agency operating with a wide range of clients. Cardinal Spin has one of the coolest offices I have ever been to. We don't wear formals at work, we have a painting the size of the wall, there is beautiful graffiti on the walls, AND AND AND, we have a dog, Miku, at the office. (It's one of our colleague's)

Okay, having a cool office doesn't mean there is no work.

Honestly, I have done more PR work in the previous eight days than I have in the entire course at Curtin. There is so much more to learn when you work in the 'real world'. It is a good thing to be a part of a busy agency. Working at an agency is better for experience gainers like us than working in-house. There are more clients to work on, with many different industries. There are some advantages to this:


  • You do not work for the same client everyday, there is always something new waiting for you the next day. 
  • You get an opportunity to work for clients in different industries i.e. from science to glamour to health to lifestyle. (I have worked on all of these in the previous eight days.) 
  • Your personal knowledge on the industry increases when you work on it, as there is heaps of research to do. 
I am lucky enough to have already attended an event on my sixth day! It was a film festival launch of TropFest 2015. TropFest is a short film festival held worldwide where people all over the world submit short films on a certain topic. It was also a party for TropFest collaborating with Twitter. There was red carpet, directors, actors, movie critics and a lot of media people. It was one of my first glamour party experiences. 


Apart from the event, I worked on many other projects like food and drinks festivals, lifestyle festival, restaurant branding, and many other events happening in and around Sydney. There is also a lot of non-fun work that we do. This includes updating the media lists, sending out media calls, heaps of research, and doing media clippings. 

There are many more events coming up in the coming weeks, and I am very excited to work on those. (and hopefully attend a few) 

So, this was my first week at Cardinal Spin. Fun, exciting, amazing, stressful, busy and all things PR. 
Hope to have even better next few weeks. 

Cheers,
Saket. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Saket!
First of all, congratulations on landing such an amazing gig in Sydney!
It sounds like you are having a ball. I can really relate to this, as I am doing my internship in London, it is quite a different PR lifestyle than Perth I would say?

We have been so lucky to work on photoshoots, attend launches and also meet a few celebrities!

Make sure you take lots of photographs!

All the best for the future.

Kindly,
Emma Ferguson
17100450