From my experience at Fremantle I learnt that the difference between my previous PR units and the actual tasks I was completing were not exactly the same, in fact my internship showed me that the tasks undertaken were different than university had me to expect. Although these tasks were different I still found them to be important in making myself industry ready, which I believe is the most important thing you can get from any education.
An internship can provide students with massive amounts of industry knowledge, but only if they know how to get the most out of their experience! My tips for future interns is to:
- ASK QUESTIONS: if you don't understand something, talk up! You will be working with professionals and they will be more than willing to help you lift your work to the next level.
- VOICE YOUR OPINION: you are new to the organisation and providing a new angle, so don't be scared of voicing your opinion! either you will help make a breakthrough or learn valuable insight into why it may not work.
- MAKE THE CONNECTIONS: Your boss at your internship can be a valuable industry connection so be sure to capitalize on this so when you finish your internship you will already have some valuable industry connections.
- ENJOY IT!: You won't get to do this again so enjoy your time there and make friends and the most of the opportunity you are given.
So with my time finished I find it sad leaving my internship (mainly because it's nearly my dream job!) but the experience and skills and knowledge I have gained are things you just can't learn in a class room. The little things like interacting with employees and clients, sitting in meetings and many other things you just don't get at uni. Yes uni gives you a boost to prepare for it but an internship takes it to a whole new level.
That's why I believe an internship has made me industry ready and now I can't wait to start the next chapter of my professional career!
2 comments:
Awesome blog Lewis!
I definitely had the same question when i finished my internship - am i industry ready ..
Years at University can't teach you what real life experience in the workforce is like.
Also - i'm glad that as a male you have found your (nearly) dream job in PR! It's so interesting to hear from a males perspective.
I loved how you give recommendations for new interns and having completed my internship i feel as though that is some sound advice.
Good luck with the future,
Greta.
Lewis!
This is just what I needed & thankfully I'm not the only one who is asking the same question. If only you had posted these tips earlier.
When I first started my internship & sometimes even now that I am continuing on with them, I find it difficult to voice my opinion or asks questions. I guess I just have this fear that they expect a lot from me as a third year PR student.
Nonetheless I have begun to learn that it's completely ok to ask questions & make mistakes!
Wishing you all the best.
Simone :)
Post a Comment