Monday, October 24, 2016

All That's Left To Do Is....

All that I have left to do...


There are a lot. Really a lot. And our PR Internship Report is one of them. But I digress.

One of the things that I've come to realize during my internship is... TEAMWORK. Not the terribly cliche "All for One, One for All" type of enforced teamwork, but working together with others in a way that benefits yourself too. Does anyone else understand what I'm trying to get at, or am I just rambling on here??

When you are in the working environment and thrown into an unexpected situation, the boundaries of your job scopes do not matter. For example, when my company organised a competition, my main role (at that time) was to ensure that our social media platforms were continuously updated with results of the competition. However, on that day, there were reporters at the venue, along with numerous parents, coaches, and athletes. A few volunteers had cancelled last-minute, and our company's event organisor was short of people. I ended up managing our social media as well as meeting and greeting with the reporters to show them to their designated spots.

My main point is that we don't get to be picky on what we want, or don't want to do. You can't say "Oh, I was only meant to do this, your problem isn't any of my concern." If you do that, no one will trust you, or give you other tasks.

Also, why Wouldn't you want to try out another task? Not only does it allow you to build your network and meet more people, but it also allows you to experience another aspect, or another "department" of your organisation - something that you might not get the chance to experience again.

In another one of my units, we had to watch some videos whereby the managers or directors of various companies were interviewed. In each interview, one same question was asked, "What advice do you have for university graduates?" The answers that were given varied across a wide range. However, some of them said something that resonated within me, and it was this: "There's nothing much that you can do as a fresh graduate. My advice is to try out as many things as you can, gain as much experience as you can, and meet as many people as you can."

Working at Coogee Beach Surf Life Saving Club has really shown me that even just doing one project, if done correctly, can help you in many more ways than you can expect.



No comments: