Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Good things take time

Luck is one of the few words that could be associated to the why I have been accepted in the most prestigious and leading advertising agency in the island. Maurice Publicité Ogilvy & Mather (Mau Pub) is one big firm that has both, an advertising department and a public relations one. At first it was quite difficult to be accepted as an intern, due to the fact that public relations are not quite fully development in the island. Furthermore the responses where not quite what I expected, such as:

  • No Public relations department, only guest relations
  • Already have interns, who will be here for 3 months
  • Or no time for dealing with one right now
I finally had hope when I got a positive response from one emerging agency in the island. The working conditions were surprisingly very pleasant and the environment was more than perfect. I was even promised a meeting with the PR consultant on the week following my request. Days went by and I started worrying due to having no formal face to face interview. This is when I decided to call back the consultant for an answer, where I was again declined after a full week of conversation that lead me on believing that I was accepted to work for this company.


This decline was something that I did not expect and stress was on its peak, when Maupub called for an interview. Being called back by a leading company in this island was amazingly surprising and an honour. The interview was scheduled on the day after our phone conversation and went really well. I started my internship on next week and since then became a part of this Maupub family. 


My first week was quite interesting and I was surprised with the amount of work and the trust that was given to me;


  1. research work for my supervisor for a press kit she is working on
  2. Attending meetings with my supervisor for an upcoming event
  3. Collaborating with the designers for the logo and the message delivery 
  4. Contributing with the social media department for a client's Facebook page
Personal point of views and research work were expected from me every day I was present at work.  This gave me an insight of what the is expected from someone when entering this "world of work", which is to always be prepared and expect to have all your materials ready.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Dharmesh,

Lovely post and great perseverance! It is very true that being rejected gives a punch to our self confidence but you kept pushing, that's a proof of courage and determination. There is a Buddha quote that I really appreciate and I want to share it with you: "Be patient, everything comes to you in the right moment" and indeed, I guess you must have felt invincible when the company called you right? On another note, it is true that Public relations is not really dissociated from marketing in Mauritius, but it is really coming forth with emerging communications agencies. Which also means a great thing: we are going to have jobs! :)
I hope you had a fruitful experience a Mau Pub and I bet you really enjoyed it and felt like you were in the real working world!

Cheers,
Sandiana