Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Do You Even Event?

I can't believe it's Week 12 already! Uni is (almost) over, classes are finished and the two events I've been rabbiting on about all semester - the WA PCYC 75th Gala Dinner and the Youth & Community Justice Conference - have both been and gone. I was lucky enough to complete my internship at my place of employment (I work for WA PCYC as their Marketing Assistant 30 hours per week), so I have been working on those two events since February! These were my first big-budget events (so it was a steep learning curve) and I wish I had known what to expect as I feel it really would have calmed my nerves in the lead-up to the big days.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a mini-diary of what went down over the three days, so here goes...

Tuesday 25th October: WA PCYC 75th Anniversary Gala Dinner

Things they don't tell you #1: sometimes you'll have to put on really different hats
(in this case I became the in-house graphic designer).
 The WA PCYC 75th Anniversary Gala Dinner was scheduled to start with pre-dinner drinks at 6.30pm on Tuesday 25th October, but our day started much earlier than that, as we also had the Youth & Community Justice Conference the two days after this to set up for, too! We thought we would have plenty of time to set everything up for the Conference at Burswood on Swan (including an AV run-through) before we received access to Crown's Astral Ballroom at 4.00pm, and while we did, we didn't anticipate it to be such a tight squeeze! Due to unforeseen technical difficulties, the AV run-through took so long, and we ended up having only 45 minutes to shower and get ready in the hotel suite before we had to be at the Astral Ballroom to set up for the dinner. This is where I learnt an important lesson: whatever time you anticipate something to take, add another 25% onto it so it doesn't totally throw you off schedule!

Thankfully though, we got to the Astral right on time and commenced setting up the centrepieces (since we designed our own instead of hiring). With 217 attendees, it wasn't a small feat, but we had a small army of volunteers (including our incredible CEO) who ensured everything was placed to perfection while my boss and I sorted out this event's AV requirements with the technician. The AV run-through went really smoothly, and we even had time to pop back up to our rooms to freshen up before the event started at 6.30.

The table setup for the WA PCYC 75th Anniversary Gala Dinner
Like any event, I assume, there were things that didn't go to plan (like one act who was supposed to only have a 10 minute slot taking 30 minutes and going waaaaay off-brief), but this is where a great AV tech and an even better MC are worth their weight in gold; neither blinked an eye and the event carried on seamlessly. After the formalities finished at 9.30pm, everyone cut loose on the dance floor (including our centre managers, our Board President and the Chief Financial Officer). It was a really great night and all my pre-event stress was for nothing.

Wednesday 26th & Thursday 27 October: Youth and Community Justice Conference



Once the Gala Dinner finished, my boss and I managed to get a couple of hours sleep before we were up and off to Burswood on Swan for the first day of the Youth & Community Justice Conference. Aside from 30-off internal WA PCYC staff, attendees included 30 interstate and international PCYC/Blue Light, other youth services providers and government agencies. We had some really fantastic speakers across both days, but Day 1 was certainly jam-packed; we had a member of the Police Pipe Band kick the day off with a beautiful solo performance as a nod to WA PCYC's connection with WAPOL, and then the Deputy Premier and Minister of Police, the Hon. Liza Harvey, delivered the opening address before other speakers took to the stage. Our Day 1 speakers included:

  • A representative from ASIO;
  • Chief Justice of WA, Wayne Martin AC QC;
  • Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission CEO, Chris Dawson;
  • Director of the Bullshift group, Andrew Horabin.
Unfortunately I didn't get to listen to much of their presentations as there was always so much to do, but we did have some media at the event, with the CJs comments appearing on page 12 of the West Australian the next day. 

'Save kids from jail': The Chief Justice of WA's comments at the Youth & Community Justice Conference
appeared in the West on the 27th October 2016.


 On Day 2, the Commissioner of Police gave a key note address after a delicious breakfast. The media was again there, and you can read an article relating to the CoP's comments in the West Australian here and in the Kalgoorlie Miner here. The second half of Day 2 was an internal summit, where international and interstate PCYC/Blue Light organisations shared their trials, tribulations and successes. These information-sharing sessions usually happen once a year and are always so valuable for all involved.

Unfortunately I didn't get many photos of this event, but I did get some lovely ones of the view of the Swan River from our Sundowner on the night of Day 1!

The hard work was worth it to get this view!
 All in all, I really enjoyed planning and executing these events. I'm not sure if I'd want to spend my entire career in events management, but it's certainly an interesting segue from my usual role.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess this is it; now we're heading out into the real world. Go forth and conquer it, my fellow PR interns. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future brings us in our careers.

'Til we meet again,
Jess.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Jess!

It sounds like it was a big year, and a challenging one at that. I think you did really well with the invitation. It is at a very professional standard and looks highly appealing. What program did you use to create it?

I never expected your organisation to be the type which would require a graphic designer. I guess what I am realising, is that even if I don't land the creative job of my dreams, it doesn't hurt to pursue photography and graphic design as a hobby. It just goes to show that in PR, it is better to have that Jack-of-All-Trades kind of skill set.

Thank you for including nice photos in your blog, I love perusing the photos people take! Good luck with your exams. Graduation is just around the corner, YAY!

- Michelle