Saturday, November 5, 2016

Network Ahead!

One of my earliest memories as a young Curtin PR student back in 2010 was my tutors fervor in ensuring we learnt how to 'network, network, network!'
I remember thinking back at how tedious this "networking" business sounded and my head swam with visions of suited men and women discussing topics beyond my realm of first year knowledge. 
This may have attributed to my severe lack of networking experience until I started my work at my current job/internship placement at the not-for-profit organisation MWLP in Campbelltown, NSW.

I was to learn (and quite quickly at that) the power and significance of networking for the not-for-profit. For many NFP organisations the budget left over for marketing and communications can be small and it is the role of the person in charge to try to stretch this as much as they can.
Networking is a budget saving and personal way a NFP can work to circulate their brand within the community at a fraction of the cost! Business owners and professionals will often take a keen interest in hearing what you do and if dome right, remember your name (and hopefully your organisation) in the future.
Moreover, networking is that perfect opportunity to make industry contacts and meet with people who represent organisations you may want (or need) further contact with in the future.
When offering forward a proposal, having that personal contact with a person can be invaluable, particularly in the case of a NFP seeking something in return.

I am proud to say that to this date I have hosted over 40 networking events and have attended just a many, if not more. The contacts and relationships I have made and maintained during these events has been invaluable to me personally and professionally and my trepidation for these types of events is a thing of the past. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Tiana!

Reading about your internship made me realise how we pretty much experienced the same stuffs in the dear corporate world. First, we all thought that the word "networking" was referring to a strings of complex and abstract ideas. In fact, we all thought that suited guys were impressive at first, and that we don't have what it takes to be in the same meeting room, breathing the same air. I think that the previous generation has managed pretty well to makes us feel like a fraud.

But as we witness how they work, we realise "networking" is like the adult word for, "being friendly with people you work with". That's it. end. Yeah because, when you are friendly, you get theirs personal phones, and emails, and you'll eventually go drink or eat somewhere. That's what friendly people do, right ? And yeah, they'll even remember your name. how amazing is that ?

Unknown said...

Networking is a great skill to acquire as a PR professional. This is not just knowing people but also creating a relationship. You cannot utilise those network if we will just tap them during the time you need them. its is a constant process which a PR professional should have. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about networking as I'm a good believer of this skill.