Thursday, November 3, 2016

Racism in Corporations


The second meeting I've had was with the other biggest media group of Mauritius, and it is rated as the most listened radio as well as some newspaper, and even tough they seemed much more keen to help us raise awareness on our issues, how they wanted us to do it was much more weird. We were explaining the scenario of the video : A young guy wandering in the streets of port louis, inviting the passerby for a quick match of street foot and inviting them to sign a petition, as the interrupt us to ask about the ethnicity of the guy who will appears on the video. ‘Anyone ?’ I say wandering aloud. ‘Yeah, that’s not going to work, you need one individual from each ethnicity if you really want everyone to engage with the message of the video.’ (The guy know that all the members of the organising committee was from a particular ethnicity.

Normally, I would take the time to take a deep breath to answer negative feedback from people who don’t have all the information’s in the first place, but I was having a pretty tough day, so those words came out of my mouth before I had the time to balance them in a more corporately corrected way : ‘I'm sorry sir, but we are not trying to sell coca cola here, if it wasn’t already obvious, that issue will put people together because every community has a child to lose in the war against illegal substance’. He smiled and paused for what seems an hour, and then simply said : ‘Ok, but we aren’t gonna be able to help you, we are here to help address national issue not to talk about what happens in the cite when no one is watching, it’s the family care business !’ I had just realised that this corporate guy just assumed that synthetic drugs was a threat only to the 'creole' community because they are convicted of being the poorest community of our demographic. What I was witnessing is my very  first case of ordinary racism in a very public corporation, and that make me dive straight into a ocean of mostly abstract thoughts about, why people advocating for causes, will systematically be crushed by a system where the people who have the power to give you the fund are usually a bunch of cynics who will take pleasure humiliating people who wear their heart on their sleeves, like its generally the case of people volunteering.


 My stomach called me back to reality, it was already lunch time.

2 comments:

Marianne Green said...

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I do understand not achieving equity in advertising and in the work place is a very confronting issue whether it is cultural conflict or gender issues. I hope you were still able to secure funding for your project. i admire that you stood up for your beliefs in terms of reaching a wider audience and not 'placing blame' on one ethnic group.Keep your chin up, vet your comments first -we all have those tough days! Remember you are the one putting your name on this project too and if it does not seem correct, find another way or speak to your superiors.
Keep up the great work!

-Marianne

Unknown said...

Thank you for the supporting word, Marianne Green. At the end of the day, I managed to do my best in the execution of the event, and the experience at the end of the day was fruitful.hank you for understanding.

-Kevish