Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Saving the Best for Last!

In the final few days of my internship I have been working on a project which has probably been my favourite so far. I was asked by my supervisor to put together a social media plan for the Western Australian Institute of Sport to use in 2017. Having managed the WAIS social media on many occasions during my internship and frequenting it many times from an outsiders perspective, I think that there is potential to improve across all platforms. This project is something which I find very exciting, as it will give me the opportunity to put forward my ideas on the ways which I think WAIS social media can be more engaging.

For those of you who are not familiar with the WAIS social media accounts, they consist largely of re-posted content, unless special WAIS events are coming up on the calendar. With this is mind you too would probably be excited by the prospect to make improvements. With the current limitations it provides so many possibilities to introduce new content.

After setting some goals as to what I wanted to achieve with my 2017 social media strategy, I went about examining the social media accounts and other organisations similar to WAIS. I looked at organisations such as Netball WA, the Victorian Institute of Sport and the New South Wales Institute of Sport. In addition to this, I thought it might also be useful to look at sporting organisations which are significantly more popular than WAIS on social media because if we’re going to make improvements, why not learn from the best in the business! This has given me a good basis for developing tactical ideas for WAIS.

Learning from Transmedia Storytelling, a unit all about social media, I also went on to search the various different platforms available to refresh myself on information such as when the best time and day to post is. Additionally to this, I looked at how many posts per day is the optimal for each platform as well as what kind of content the internet said was the most effective. In doing this research I was able to find and build on ideas which I had never heard of before whilst also discovering an array of content creation and analytical tools. I think the platform which I learnt the most about was Snapchat, not so much in the sense of general everyday use, but in how businesses can use it effectively. Whilst it is a platform which relies on an organisations presence on other social medias to get followers, it can be used in some very creative ways.  My top pick for a Snapchat tactic for WAIS would have to be an influencer/athlete take-over, however I found the idea of a Snapchat Q and A to be one which is quite innovative and could definitely draw interest.


Whilst I would love to share details about some of the tactics I have come up with I am only just finishing up with the research side of things. Although I have now finished my 20 day internship at WAIS I have been fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to continue working there. The 2017 social media plan is therefore something which I will continue to work on and perfect over the next couple of weeks and hopefully one day you will all be following WAIS on social media due to their amazing, engaging content!

No comments: